Probability Help: Calc. Non-Red, Marble or Glass

In summary, the box contains 20 objects. There are 10 objects that are neither red, marble, or glass.
efigen
Heres the question.

A box contains twenty objects. Seven are red. Seven are marble. Seven are glass. there are 3 red marble objects. 3 red glass objects. 3 marble glass objects. There is exactly 1 red glass marble object. How many objects are neither red, marble or glass?

- So what i started out doing is making a chart for the 3 separate categories

7 red | 7 marble | 7 glass
3 red marble 3 red marble

4 red left 4 marble left
3 red glass 3 red glass
1 red left 4 glass left
3 glass marbles 3 glass marbles

1 marble left 1 glass left

1 object is all three so it leaves 0 left to chose from
- I added up all the combinations and subtracted it from 20.

20-(3redmarbles)-(3redglass)- (3marbleglass)-(1redglassmarble)= 10 objects

so in total there are 10 objects that are neither red, marble, or glass. I asked a friend and he said it was wrong, and i don't see why.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It isn't clear to me how you are getting the results in your diagam. Draw a Venn diagram of 3 intersecting circles and put numbers in the 7 non-overlapping areas.

If you are going to approach this problem by making lists, I think you must pay attention to properties like not-red, not-marble and not-glass as well as the affirmative properties.

You need to fill out a chart with combinations like:

red and marble and glass
red and marble and not-glass
red and not_marble and glass
red and not_marble and not_glass
... etc.

Using relations like: number of (red and marble) = number of (red and marble and glass) + number of (red and marble and not-glass)

The 10 makes sense to me.

EDIT: I lied, the 10 is wrong. There are 7A, 7B, and 7C. There are 3AB, 3AC, 3BC, and 1ABC. That 1ABC takes away 1 from each the AB, BC, and AC. So you probably have 13?

So in summary, it seems you have interpreted "red marble" as "red marble and not glass".

i don't really understand your method, so i will not say if is a correct strategy or not, but your answer is certainly incorrect.

here is a way to look at it. start with all 20 objects in a bucket. let's take out all the ones that are red, a marble, or glass.

first, remove the one object that is all three. so, now 19 objects remain. however, only 6 will be r, 6 m and 6 g because the one object removed belongs to all three categories. likewise, there are now 2 rm, 2 rg, and 2 mg left.

so, let's take away the six remaining objects that belong to two categories. so, now there are 13 objects in the bucket. with some bookkeeping we can see that we removed 4 objects from each category.

that leaves us with 7-4-1 = 2 objects left from each category, and they can only belong to one category, so when we remove them we have to take six objects away again, leaving us with 7 objects left in the bucket. these will not be red, a marble or glass.

hope this helps

Thanks to everyone for the help!

1. What is probability in mathematics?

Probability is a branch of mathematics that deals with the likelihood of an event occurring. It is a measure of how likely it is for a certain outcome to happen.

2. How is probability calculated?

Probability is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. For example, if you want to find the probability of rolling a 4 on a standard six-sided die, the calculation would be 1 (number of favorable outcomes) divided by 6 (total number of possible outcomes), which equals 1/6 or approximately 0.167.

3. What is the difference between independent and dependent events?

Independent events are events where the outcome of one event does not affect the outcome of the other. For example, flipping a coin and rolling a die are independent events. Dependent events, on the other hand, are events where the outcome of one event does affect the outcome of the other. For example, drawing a card from a deck and then drawing another card without replacing the first one would be dependent events.

4. How does probability relate to non-red, marble, or glass?

In this context, probability is used to determine the likelihood of drawing a non-red marble or glass marble from a bag containing both red and non-red marbles. The probability would be calculated by dividing the number of non-red marbles or glass marbles by the total number of marbles in the bag.

5. Can probability be greater than 1 or less than 0?

No, probability cannot be greater than 1 or less than 0. A probability of 0 means that an event is impossible, while a probability of 1 means that an event is certain. Any probability between 0 and 1 represents the likelihood of an event occurring.