1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability integration question

1. Aug 23, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let X denote the diameter of an armored electric cable and Y denote the diameter of the ceramic mold that makes the cable. Both X and Y are scaled so that they range between 0 and 1 . Suppose that X and Y have the joint density

f(x,y) = 1/y, 0<x<y<1
    f(x,y) = 0, elsewhere

Find P(X + Y > 1/2)
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Do not I just need to integrate 1/y from x to 1 with dx then from there integrate one more time with from 0 to 1/2 with dy ?

I am really confused with this question because if we integrate 1/y we get ln (y) and if we integrate one more time, we get y *(ln (y) - 1) but we cannot have ln (0).

Some please help me. This question is bothering me for the whole day.
    BTW: I am sorry that I do not know how to put the integration symbol yet.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2009 #2

LeonhardEuler

Gold Member

It would probably be helpful to draw a diagram so that you can see the area where you need to integrate. You are looking for X+Y>1/2. Graph the line X+Y=1/2. This is the boundary of the constraint, and on one side of the line it holds, on the other it fails. Also, the function is nonzero only for X<Y, so this is another constraint on the area of integration. If you draw a picture, it should be clear what region to integrate in and how to set the limits.

As far as your second point about ln(y) for y=0, remember that it is y*ln(y). The limit has a definite value. (hint: L'Hopital's rule)

And about drawing integrals, hit the quote button to see how I did this:
    [tex]\int_{x=0}^{x=1}f(x)dx[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook