Probability integration question

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the probability that the sum of two scaled diameters will be greater than 1/2, given a joint density function for the diameters. The solution involves drawing a diagram to determine the area of integration and using L'Hopital's rule to solve for the limit when y=0 in the integral.
a_man

Homework Statement

Let X denote the diameter of an armored electric cable and Y denote the diameter of the ceramic mold that makes the cable. Both X and Y are scaled so that they range between 0 and 1 . Suppose that X and Y have the joint density

f(x,y) = 1/y, 0<x<y<1
f(x,y) = 0, elsewhere

Find P(X + Y > 1/2)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Do not I just need to integrate 1/y from x to 1 with dx then from there integrate one more time with from 0 to 1/2 with dy ?

I am really confused with this question because if we integrate 1/y we get ln (y) and if we integrate one more time, we get y *(ln (y) - 1) but we cannot have ln (0).

Some please help me. This question is bothering me for the whole day.
BTW: I am sorry that I do not know how to put the integration symbol yet.

Physics news on Phys.org
It would probably be helpful to draw a diagram so that you can see the area where you need to integrate. You are looking for X+Y>1/2. Graph the line X+Y=1/2. This is the boundary of the constraint, and on one side of the line it holds, on the other it fails. Also, the function is nonzero only for X<Y, so this is another constraint on the area of integration. If you draw a picture, it should be clear what region to integrate in and how to set the limits.

As far as your second point about ln(y) for y=0, remember that it is y*ln(y). The limit has a definite value. (hint: L'Hopital's rule)

And about drawing integrals, hit the quote button to see how I did this:
[tex]\int_{x=0}^{x=1}f(x)dx[/tex]

Hello,

Thank you for your question. It seems like you are on the right track with your solution. However, you are correct in noting that there is an issue with integrating ln(y) when y=0.

One way to approach this problem is to break it into two cases: when y<1/2 and when y>1/2. When y<1/2, we can integrate from x to 1/2 with respect to y, and then from 0 to 1/2 with respect to x. This will give us the integral ln(1/2)-ln(x). When y>1/2, we can integrate from x to 1 with respect to y, and then from 0 to 1/2 with respect to x. This will give us the integral ln(y)-ln(x). We can then add these two cases together to get the final probability.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your homework!

What is a probability integration question?

A probability integration question is a type of mathematical problem that involves calculating the likelihood of a certain event occurring, given a set of conditions or variables.

What are the different types of probability integration questions?

There are several types of probability integration questions, including discrete and continuous probability, conditional probability, and joint probability. Each type involves different methods of calculating probabilities based on different scenarios.

How do I solve a probability integration question?

The first step in solving a probability integration question is to clearly define the problem and identify the variables and conditions involved. Then, you can use mathematical formulas and techniques, such as the addition rule, multiplication rule, and Bayes' theorem, to calculate the desired probability.

What are some real-world applications of probability integration?

Probability integration has many real-world applications, such as predicting weather patterns, analyzing stock market trends, and assessing risk in insurance and finance. It is also used in scientific research and experiments to determine the likelihood of certain outcomes.

What are the limitations of probability integration?

While probability integration is a useful tool for making predictions and analyzing data, it has some limitations. It relies on assumptions and simplifications, and may not accurately reflect complex real-world situations. It is also important to consider potential biases and errors in data when using probability integration.