Probability- minimum inventory to satisfy demand

In summary: Right!In summary, the goal is to cover all of the demand in a month at least 95% of the times. To do this, the company should hold at least 2000 units of inventory.
Roni1985

Homework Statement

There are 20 customer locations, the demand in each location is normal with mean 60 and SD 20. All 20 locations have independent probabilities.
The goal is to cover all of the demand in a month at least 95% of the times. What's the minimum total inventory the company should hold?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

It doesn't sound like I need to find the confidence interval. So, I know that the total mean is 1200 and the total standard deviation is 400. So, since the sum is also normal, I just go two SDs to the right to find the 95%.
If I got 2 SDs to the right, I get 2000.

Is this the correct method to use here?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Roni1985 said:

Homework Statement

There are 20 customer locations, the demand in each location is normal with mean 60 and SD 20. All 20 locations have independent probabilities.
The goal is to cover all of the demand in a month at least 95% of the times. What's the minimum total inventory the company should hold?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

It doesn't sound like I need to find the confidence interval. So, I know that the total mean is 1200 and the total standard deviation is 400. So, since the sum is also normal, I just go two SDs to the right to find the 95%.
If I got 2 SDs to the right, I get 2000.

Is this the correct method to use here?

G

How do you figure that the total standard deviation is 400? I get something very different.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
G

How do you figure that the total standard deviation is 400? I get something very different.

RGV

oh shoot, that's the variance I guess.
so, SD is just 20.

But, now I'm thinking maybe I should use the gaussian pdf...?
EDIT:
I used excel's =NORMINV(0.975,1200,20)
And I get 1240 both ways... so I think its good.
But if wanted to use the gaussian pdf, how would you calculate it?

Last edited:
Roni1985 said:
oh shoot, that's the variance I guess.
so, SD is just 20.

But, now I'm thinking maybe I should use the gaussian pdf...?
EDIT:
I used excel's =NORMINV(0.975,1200,20)
And I get 1240 both ways... so I think its good.
But if wanted to use the gaussian pdf, how would you calculate it?

(i) You still don't have the correct standard deviation.

(ii) Where does the 0.975 come from?

RGV

Ya I'm a lil rusty
it's sqrt(20)*20
and the prob is just .95

Roni1985 said:
Ya I'm a lil rusty
it's sqrt(20)*20
and the prob is just .95

Right!

RGV

What is probability?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood of an event occurring. It is expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 represents impossibility and 1 represents certainty.

How is probability used in inventory management?

In inventory management, probability is used to determine the minimum amount of inventory needed to satisfy customer demand. By calculating the probability of demand and the associated costs, businesses can make informed decisions about how much inventory to keep on hand.

What factors affect the minimum inventory needed to satisfy demand?

The minimum inventory needed to satisfy demand is affected by factors such as the variability of demand, lead time, and the desired level of service. Higher variability and longer lead times typically require a larger minimum inventory to ensure customer demand is met.

Can probability be used to predict demand in the future?

Yes, probability can be used to make predictions about future demand. By analyzing past data and trends, businesses can estimate the probability of certain demand levels and adjust their inventory accordingly.

What are the limitations of using probability in inventory management?

One limitation of using probability in inventory management is that it relies on historical data and assumptions, which may not always accurately predict future demand. Additionally, unexpected events or changes in market conditions can also impact the accuracy of probability-based inventory management.