What is the Probability of a Loaded Die?

• Thread starter Kingyou123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the conversation discusses the probabilities of rolling a 2, 1, and an even number on a loaded six-sided die. It is mentioned that the numbers 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 have equal chances of appearing, while 1 is three times more likely to appear than 2. The probability of rolling a 2 is 1/8, a 1 is 3/8, and an even number is 3/8. There is no mistake in the calculation as these are the correct probabilities.
Kingyou123

Homework Statement

(10 points) Consider a six-sided die that is loaded so that numbers 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 are all equally likely to appear, and 1 is three times as likely to appear as 2.
(a) What is the probability of rolling a 2?
(b) What is the probability of rolling a 1?
(c) What is the probability of rolling an even number?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

3p+p+p+p+p+p=8p
P(1)=3/8
P(2)=1/8
P(3)=1/8
P(4)=1/8
P(5)=1/8
P(6)=1/8
a)1/8
b)3/8
c)3/8
Okay these answers seem way to0 simple for a 10 point question, what did I do wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Kingyou123 said:

Homework Statement

(10 points) Consider a six-sided die that is loaded so that numbers 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 are all equally likely to appear, and 1 is three times as likely to appear as 2.
(a) What is the probability of rolling a 2?
(b) What is the probability of rolling a 1?
(c) What is the probability of rolling an even number?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

3p+p+p+p+p+p=8p
P(1)=3/8
P(2)=1/8
P(3)=1/8
P(4)=1/8
P(5)=1/8
P(6)=1/8
a)1/8
b)3/8
c)3/8
Okay these answers seem way to simple for a 10 point question, what did I do wrong?

Nothing is wrong.

Anyway, I guess you mean "too simple", not "to simple".

Likes Kingyou123
Ray Vickson said:
Nothing is wrong.

Anyway, I guess you mean "too simple", not "to simple".
thank you very much

1. What is the probability of rolling a specific number on a loaded die?

The probability of rolling a specific number on a loaded die depends on the specific weight distribution of the die. A loaded die is one that has been intentionally altered to favor certain numbers over others. Without knowing the specific weight distribution, it is impossible to determine the exact probability of rolling a specific number.

2. How can I tell if a die is loaded?

There are a few ways to determine if a die is loaded. One method is to roll the die several times and record the results. If there is a significant bias towards certain numbers, it is likely that the die is loaded. Another method is to perform a statistical test, such as a chi-square test, to analyze the distribution of the results.

3. Is it illegal to use a loaded die?

In most cases, it is not illegal to use a loaded die for recreational purposes. However, using a loaded die in a gambling setting is illegal and considered cheating. It is important to always check local laws and regulations before using a loaded die.

4. Can a loaded die ever roll a number that is not favored?

Yes, it is possible for a loaded die to roll a number that is not favored. The weight distribution of a loaded die may increase the likelihood of certain numbers, but it does not guarantee that those numbers will always be rolled. The probability of rolling a non-favored number is still present, but it may be lower than the probability of rolling a favored number.

5. How can I make a loaded die fair again?

Making a loaded die fair again is not possible without altering the weight distribution. If you suspect a die is loaded, it is best to stop using it and replace it with a fair die. Trying to alter the weight distribution of a loaded die can be difficult and may not result in a fair outcome.