Probability of a page being free from printing errors

In summary, the probability that a randomly chosen page from a book with 100 pages and 200 printing errors will be completely error free is closest to d) 13%. To find this probability, we can use the approach of finding the complement and calculating the probability that every page has at least one error. Another approach is to choose one page and one error and use that to find the probability that the error will not be on the chosen page.
shakgoku
A book of 100 pages contains 200printing errors distributed randomly among the pages. the probability that one of the pages will be completely error free is closest to
a)67%
b)50%
c)25%
d)13%

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to calculate total number of possible events. I got struck there as it was getting too complicated.
Ex all 200errors can be in 1 page in 100 ways
Next suppose we distribute errors on any 2pages only then we have to find number of pairs of pages possible which might be 100+99+98+...+1(counted by me for smaller numbers) multiplied by 199
(ex- 1+199,2+198,3+197... Upto 199+1) after that I needed to find groups of 3. And it was too hard and complicated.then i realized that With this approach i might count same event more than once. So i stopped.
There should be a easier way.

Physics news on Phys.org
how about trying to find the complement first, what is the probability that every page has at least one error?

also looking at "combinations with replacement" could be useful for this problem

I'm assuming you mean the probability for a randomly chosen page being completely error free.

Hint: What is the probability that a certain error will not be on the page?

i would probably read it as at least one page is error free, but it is open for interpretation & that will be easier to solve

I came out to 13.4% chance of not getting an error on the First Page, (84.6% chance of getting an error on first page)
then 1-.846^100=99.99% chance of having at least 1 page with no error?

Can someone tell me if I am completely wrong? I feel like my math was solid but still not confident in my answer (cause I thought it wouldn't be nearly that high)

lanedance said:
i would probably read it as at least one page is error free, but it is open for interpretation & that will be easier to solve
Lanedance, you are right. It wasn't clear what the problem was asking for, but I'm still pretty sure it was meant to be the probability that a randomly chosen page will be error free, as that is closest to one of the alternatives.

I didn't find any easy ways to get the probability for at least one page being error free, or the probability for exactly one page being error free. Hopefully, these calculations are right:
The probability that at least one page is error free:
[tex]\frac{\sum^{99}_{k=1}\binom{100}{k}k^{200}(-1)^{k-1}}{100^{200}}\approx 0.99999997868=100\%[/tex]

The probability that exactly one page is error free:
[tex]\frac{100\sum^{99}_{k=1}\binom{99}{k}k^{200}(-1)^{k-1}}{100^{200}}\approx 5.31379\cdot 10^{-7}=0\%[/tex]

Don't worry! The probability for a randomly chosen page being error free, is a lot easier to find. At least you don't need to calculate the sum of 99 different terms. I will not give the solution in this post, but this hint could be useful:
Choose one page and one error. What is the probability that this error will not be on the page? How is that useful when you want to find the probability that 200 errors will not be on the page?

1. What is the importance of calculating the probability of a page being free from printing errors?

The probability of a page being free from printing errors is an essential factor to consider when evaluating the quality of a printed document. It helps determine the likelihood of a page containing mistakes, which can impact the overall accuracy and credibility of the information presented.

2. How is the probability of a page being free from printing errors calculated?

The probability of a page being free from printing errors is calculated by dividing the number of error-free pages by the total number of pages in a document. This gives a percentage or decimal value that represents the likelihood of a page being free from printing errors.

3. What factors can affect the probability of a page being free from printing errors?

There are several factors that can impact the probability of a page being free from printing errors, including the quality of the printing equipment, the skill and experience of the printer, the complexity of the document, and the quality of the source material.

4. Is it possible to have a 100% probability of a page being free from printing errors?

In theory, it is possible to have a 100% probability of a page being free from printing errors. However, in practice, it is highly unlikely due to the potential for human error and other factors that can affect the printing process.

5. How can the probability of a page being free from printing errors be improved?

The probability of a page being free from printing errors can be improved by using high-quality printing equipment, ensuring the printer is skilled and experienced, carefully reviewing and proofreading the document before printing, and using high-quality source material.