Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability of coin flipping streaks.

1. May 14, 2013 #1
    Recently I was discussing hitting streaks with my dad and I said "If you flip a coin a million time you're bound to get a streak of a hundred."

I am not sure if this is actually true and I am having some trouble figuring it out.

The more general question that I would like to be able to answer is what is the probability that you will get a streak of k heads when you flip a coin n times?

I found this article "http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-042j-mathematics-for-computer-science-spring-2005/lecture-notes/l24_spcl_topics.pdf" [Broken]

It explaines how to solve this however it requires k base cases. For k=100, this method is kind of useless. Can anyone think of a good way to solve this for large k and n?

PS. Using a computer is certainly okay.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2013 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Try google "coin flip streaks". One entry "Introduction to algorithms - page 112" might help.

4. May 14, 2013 #3

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The probability of rolling 100 heads in a row is 1/2100, or less than 10-30. Multiply this by a million and you still get a ridiculously small number. Note well: This is an upper bound. This simple calculation ignores the fact that there is a chance of getting 101 heads (or more) in a row somewhere along the line.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook