Probability of coin flipping streaks.

• Thread starter Dmobb Jr.
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of getting a streak of k heads when flipping a coin n times. The suggested method involves using k base cases, however this may not be useful for larger values of k, and using a computer may be necessary. The probability of rolling 100 heads in a row is very small, but it is possible to get more than 100 heads in a row.
Dmobb Jr.
Recently I was discussing hitting streaks with my dad and I said "If you flip a coin a million time you're bound to get a streak of a hundred."

I am not sure if this is actually true and I am having some trouble figuring it out.

The more general question that I would like to be able to answer is what is the probability that you will get a streak of k heads when you flip a coin n times?

I found this article "http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-042j-mathematics-for-computer-science-spring-2005/lecture-notes/l24_spcl_topics.pdf"

It explaines how to solve this however it requires k base cases. For k=100, this method is kind of useless. Can anyone think of a good way to solve this for large k and n?

PS. Using a computer is certainly okay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try google "coin flip streaks". One entry "Introduction to algorithms - page 112" might help.

The probability of rolling 100 heads in a row is 1/2100, or less than 10-30. Multiply this by a million and you still get a ridiculously small number. Note well: This is an upper bound. This simple calculation ignores the fact that there is a chance of getting 101 heads (or more) in a row somewhere along the line.

1. What is the probability of flipping a coin and getting a streak of heads or tails?

The probability of getting a streak of heads or tails only depends on the number of flips and not on the previous outcomes. Therefore, the probability of getting a streak of heads or tails is 50% for any given number of flips.

2. Is it more likely to get a streak of heads or tails in a coin flip?

Since the probability of getting a streak of heads or tails is 50%, both outcomes are equally likely. There is no preference for one over the other.

3. What is the longest streak of heads or tails that is likely to occur?

The longest streak of heads or tails that is likely to occur depends on the number of flips. The more flips there are, the longer the streak that is likely to occur. However, it is still possible to get a long streak even with a small number of flips due to the nature of probability.

4. Can a streak of heads or tails be predicted in a coin flip?

No, a streak of heads or tails cannot be predicted in a coin flip. Each flip is independent and the outcome of one flip does not affect the outcome of the next flip. Therefore, it is impossible to predict if a streak will occur or not.

5. How does the probability of streaks change as more flips are added?

The probability of getting a streak of heads or tails does not change as more flips are added. It remains 50% for any given number of flips. However, the likelihood of longer streaks occurring increases as more flips are added, but it is still possible to get a long streak even with a small number of flips.