Probability of picking correct keys for houses

Thanks. In summary, the problem is about a real estate agent who has 8 master keys to open several new homes, with only 1 master key opening any given house. If 40% of the homes are usually left unlocked, the probability of the agent selecting 3 master keys at random before leaving the office and being able to get into a specific home is 47.5%. This is calculated by adding the probability of the house being unlocked (40%) to the probability of the agent correctly selecting one of the three keys (37.5%). The probability of correctly selecting one of the three keys is found by taking the number of possible keys (3) and dividing it by the total number of keys (8), giving a probability
kmwest

Homework Statement

Any help will be appreciated for this homework problem. It's the only one in the set that I haven't finished. :)

"A real estate agent has 8 master keys to open _several_ new homes (underline mine). Only 1 master key will open any given house. if 40% of the homes are usually left unlocked, what is the probability that the real estate agent can get into a specific home if the agent selects 3 master keys at random before leaving the office?"

Homework Equations

Here's what I have so far:

Let A = event that agent can get in a specific home
Let P(U)= probability the given house is unlocked. P(U)=0.4, P(U')=0.6
Let P(K)= probability that one of the three keys the agent selects, opens the desired specific home

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm viewing events U and K as separate, independent events. So I have:

P(A)= P(U)P(K) + P(U)P(K') + P(U')P(K)

Since there are only two options for K, K and K', I can merge the first two terms.

P(A) = P(U) + P(U')P(K)

I am unsure of how to determine P(K). I'm thinking it will be P(K)= (x choose 1)/(8 choose 3). This accounts for the number of possible house choices (x) and number of potential key combinations. So if x=7, that makes P(K)=7/56 and

P(A) = 0.4 + 0.6*0.125 = 0.475

I'm quite unsure about this so please confirm or deny my method... thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can probably assume that one of the eight keys will open the house he chose. He took three of them. What are the odds he picked the right one? I think your answer for P(K) is wrong. It's simpler than you think.

so p(unlocked)=0.4

and couldn't you just say p(correct key)=3/8...

and then consider them independent as you have...

Dick said:
You can probably assume that one of the eight keys will open the house he chose. He took three of them. What are the odds he picked the right one? I think your answer for P(K) is wrong. It's simpler than you think.

So would P(K)= 3/x , assuming x<= 8? I'll be honest, my first thought was P(K)=3/8, but the wording in the question of "several," and not precisely 8, houses has thrown me off.

My old brain no longer does well with formulas, but it seems to me it would be .4 + (3/8)*.6 = 62.5%

Using the same logic, if he brought 7 of his 8 keys, it would be 92.5% and if he brought only one key it would be 48%, both of which seem intuitively to be quite reasonable (that doesn't make them right, it's just a decent sanity check on the method).

Again using the same logic, if the chance of a house being unlocked were zero, this method reduces to n/8 where n=the number of keys brought (<=8) which makes sense.

Again using the same logic, if the chance of a house being unlocked were 100%, this method reduces to (1.0 + (n/8)*0.0) = 100% regardless of the number of keys brought, and again it makes sense.

In the bunch of 8 keys, only 1 is the correct one. The probability to pick it from the first try is 1/8, whereas for not picking that one is the opposite 7/8. Suppose you did not pick the correct one. Then, the probability of picking it is 1/7 in the second try and not picking it is 6/7. Similarly, the probability of picking it in the third try is 1/6. Using the total probability formula, the probability of picking the correct key in 3 tries is:

[tex]
\frac{1}{8} + \frac{7}{8} \cdot \frac{1}{7} + \frac{7}{8} \cdot \frac{6}{7} \cdot \frac{1}{6} = \frac{1}{8} + \frac{1}{8} + \frac{1}{8} = \frac{3}{8}
[/tex]

So, you have an error in the estimate of this probability in your calculation ([itex]0.125 = 1/8[/itex]).

Dickfore said:
In the bunch of 8 keys, only 1 is the correct one. The probability to pick it from the first try is 1/8, whereas for not picking that one is the opposite 7/8. Suppose you did not pick the correct one. Then, the probability of picking it is 1/7 in the second try and not picking it is 6/7. Similarly, the probability of picking it in the third try is 1/6. Using the total probability formula, the probability of picking the correct key in 3 tries is:

[tex]
\frac{1}{8} + \frac{7}{8} \cdot \frac{1}{7} + \frac{7}{8} \cdot \frac{6}{7} \cdot \frac{1}{6} = \frac{1}{8} + \frac{1}{8} + \frac{1}{8} = \frac{3}{8}
[/tex]

--- DELETED (see below) ---

LATER: OOPS ... I see now that you were not correcting me, you were explaining to the OP why his solution was wrong and mine is right, although it puzzles me why you think all that arithmetic is necessary to see that if you have 3 keys out of 8 and one of the 8 must be right, then you have a 3/8 chance of one of them being right.

Last edited:
phinds said:
--- DELETED (see below) ---

LATER: OOPS ... I see now that you were not correcting me, you were explaining to the OP why his solution was wrong and mine is right, although it puzzles me why you think all that arithmetic is necessary to see that if you have 3 keys out of 8 and one of the 8 must be right, then you have a 3/8 chance of one of them being right.

I used all that arithmetic because no one gave a conclusive argument why the probability is 3/8, although it is intuitively plausible. The complication arises because we draw from the pile of 8 keys without returning the drawn keys. The multiplication clearly shows how numerators and denominators of successive fractions cancel and can easily be generalized.

Thanks to all. I was hung up on the unspecified number of houses but now I realize that it doesn't matter, assuming that the house you are trying to enter has a key among the 8 keys! On to the next problem set...

Dickfore said:
I used all that arithmetic because no one gave a conclusive argument why the probability is 3/8, although it is intuitively plausible. The complication arises because we draw from the pile of 8 keys without returning the drawn keys. The multiplication clearly shows how numerators and denominators of successive fractions cancel and can easily be generalized.

Very reasonable.

1. What is the probability of picking the correct key for a house?

The probability of picking the correct key for a house depends on the number of keys available and the number of houses to choose from. If there is one key and one house, the probability is 1 (100%). If there are multiple keys and one house, the probability decreases with each additional key. If there are multiple keys and multiple houses, the probability will vary depending on the number of keys and houses.

2. How do I calculate the probability of picking the correct key for a house?

To calculate the probability, you need to know the total number of possible outcomes and the number of favorable outcomes. In this case, the total number of outcomes would be the total number of keys available, and the favorable outcomes would be the number of correct keys.

3. What factors can affect the probability of picking the correct key for a house?

The probability can be affected by the number of keys and houses, as well as the distribution of the keys. If the keys are randomly distributed, the probability will be equal for each key. However, if the keys are grouped by size or color, the probability may vary.

4. How can I improve my chances of picking the correct key for a house?

One way to improve your chances is by reducing the number of keys and houses. If there are fewer keys to choose from, the probability of picking the correct key increases. Another way is by organizing the keys in a logical and consistent manner, such as by size or color.

5. Is it possible to have a 100% probability of picking the correct key for a house?

In theory, yes, it is possible to have a 100% probability if there is only one key and one house. However, in real-life scenarios with multiple keys and houses, it is highly unlikely to have a 100% probability. There is always a chance of human error or other unforeseen factors that could affect the outcome.