Solving Probability Problem: P(Z^3 > 1)

• Thread starter danniim
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the probability of Z^3 > 1 for a standard normal distribution Z ~ N(0,1). The person uses the formula x-miu/standard deviation to try and solve the problem, but looks up the wrong value in the standard normal distribution tables. They then question if the problem is too easy and suggest looking for an equivalent inequality to Z^3 > 1.
danniim
Can anyone help me with this?
If Z ~ N(0,1) determine P(Z^3 > 1)

I used the formula: x-miu/standard deviation where miu=0 and standard deviation is sq. root of 1.

I tired:

P(z^3>1)
P((x-0/1)^3>1)
P(x^3>1)
P(x>1)

I looked up the area of the standard normal distribution tables and got

=-3.99, which isn't right

I also tried

P(z^3>1)
P(z>1)

Looked it up using the tables and got

=0.15866

I don't think the question would be that easy though.

Physics news on Phys.org
danniim said:
Can anyone help me with this?
If Z ~ N(0,1) determine P(Z^3 > 1)

I used the formula: x-miu/standard deviation where miu=0 and standard deviation is sq. root of 1.

I tired:

P(z^3>1)
P((x-0/1)^3>1)
P(x^3>1)
P(x>1)

I looked up the area of the standard normal distribution tables and got

=-3.99, which isn't right

You must have used the table incorrectly, since -3.99 is not a probability (or you have a typo here).
I also tried

P(z^3>1)
P(z>1)

Looked it up using the tables and got

=0.15866

I don't think the question would be that easy though.

If two inequalities are equivalent, they represent events that have the same probability. thus, for example,

[tex]
P(3Z+5 > 7) = P(Z > 2/3)
[/tex]

since [tex] 3Z+5>7 [/tex] and [tex] Z > 2/3 [/tex] are equivalent inequalities.

So, what inequality is equivalent to [tex] Z^3 > 1 [/tex]? Perhaps you were on the correct track and it simply seemed too easy.

I can confirm that your approach is correct. However, the answer you obtained (0.15866) is the probability of a standard normal variable being greater than 1, which is not the same as P(Z^3 > 1). To solve this problem, we need to use the transformation property of normal distributions, which states that if X is a normal random variable with mean μ and standard deviation σ, then aX+b is also a normal random variable with mean aμ+b and standard deviation |a|σ.

In this case, we have Z^3, which can be rewritten as (Z^3)^(1/3), resulting in a new normal random variable with mean 0 and standard deviation |1/3|. Therefore, we can use the formula you mentioned, x-miu/standard deviation, to find the probability of Z^3 being greater than 1.

P(Z^3 > 1) = P((Z^3)^(1/3) > 1) = P(Z > 1^(1/3)) = P(Z > 1)

Using the standard normal distribution tables, we can find that the probability of a standard normal variable being greater than 1 is 0.15866, which is the same answer you obtained earlier. Therefore, the final answer to this probability problem is 0.15866.

In summary, your approach was correct, but you needed to use the transformation property of normal distributions to correctly solve for P(Z^3 > 1). I hope this helps!

What is a probability problem?

A probability problem is a mathematical question that involves determining the likelihood of a specific outcome or event occurring. It often involves using statistical principles and calculations to estimate the chances of an event happening.

What is the significance of P(Z^3 > 1) in probability?

P(Z^3 > 1) is a mathematical representation of the probability of a random variable, in this case Z, being greater than 1 when cubed. It is used to determine the likelihood of an event occurring based on a given set of conditions.

How do you solve a probability problem with P(Z^3 > 1)?

To solve a probability problem with P(Z^3 > 1), you would first need to understand the given conditions and the specific values for the random variable Z. Then, you can use statistical formulas and techniques to calculate the probability of the event occurring. This may involve finding the area under a curve using a graph or using a calculator to determine the probability.

What factors can affect the outcome of a probability problem?

The outcome of a probability problem can be affected by various factors such as the given conditions, the values of the random variables involved, and the accuracy of the data used. It can also be influenced by the statistical methods and assumptions used to solve the problem.

Why is it important to solve probability problems?

Solving probability problems is essential for understanding and predicting the likelihood of events occurring. It is used in various fields such as science, finance, and engineering to make informed decisions and analyze data. Solving probability problems can also improve critical thinking and problem-solving skills.