1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Probability question on school classes

1. May 19, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In a high-school graduating class of 100 students, 54 studied math, 69 studied history, and 35 studied both math and history. If 1 of the students is selected at random, find the probability that

(a) the student took math or history;
    (b) the student did not take either of these subjects;
    (c) the student took history but not math.
    2. Relevant equations

P = n/N

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok. I am thinking that I actually need to figure out how many students took math only and history only (pretty sure this is just algebra).

So I know that there are 54 math students; this must include those who studied both. Thus, the number of students who studied *math only* is 54 - 35 = 19.
    Similarly, those who took History only 69 - 35 = 34.

So for (a) P(M U H) = (19 + 34) / 100 = 53/100 ... but this is wrong. Book says 22/25. So I am off to a bad start. What am I screwing up here?

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2010 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

"or" is an inclusive word, so you also need to include the 35 who took both math and history

4. May 19, 2010 #3
    I guess an alternative approach to this would be

[itex]P(M\cup H) = P(M) + P(H) - P(M\cap H)[/itex]

where M is the math set, H is the History set, etc.​

Just curious as to why my first attempt fails?

EDIT:

I see. I was wondering about that and had somehow convinced myself that it was exclusive. In general, is "or" inclusive in probability? How about math in general?

5. May 19, 2010 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Or is inclusive in math, probability and computer science...The only instance where "or" is exclusive , that comes to mind, is in common everyday conversational usage.

6. May 19, 2010 #5
    Hence why my waitress never says, "that comes with soup or salad or both." :smile:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook