Probability chance of rolling a nine question

In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of getting a 9 or 10 when rolling three dice, as believed by seventeenth-century Italian gamblers. The steps to calculate these probabilities are mentioned and additional lists are provided to help understand the problem. An alternative formula for calculating the probabilities is also presented.
amberglo
Hi, here is my question:

Seventeenth-century Italian gamblers thought that the chance of getting a 9 when they rolled three dice were equal to the chance of getting a 10. Calculate these two probabilities to see if they were right. (I have the two answers, just need to know what the steps are). Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if you know answers but haven't the faintest idea HOW to get them, THAT's what you should think about. To give you the two answers is without meaning.

So:
HOW would you proceed to find this out?

Well, that's why I posted this question because I don't know how to get the answers. If I did, I would not be posting in this forum. I've tried many different ways in figuring out the probabilities, but nothing matches up to the correct answers so if you know how to do this, that would be glorious. :)

Well, can you complete these two lists, then?

1,2,6*****1,3,6
1,3,5*****1,4,5
1,4,4*****1,5,4
1,5,3*****1,6,3
1,6,2*****2,2,6
2,1,6*****2,3,5
2,2,5*****2,4,4
2,3,4*****2,5,3
2,4,3*****2,6,2
2,5,2*****3,1,6
2,6,1*****3,2,5
3,1,5*****3,3,4
3,2,4*****3,4,3
... .***** ...
... ***** ...

Do you see what relation these lists have to your problem?

Last edited:
Ahh yes, I know one major thing I didn't do, I was making the list for rolling 2 dice (8,1) (1,8), not three.

Eeh? :confused:

Alternatively, the probabilities are given by:
[tex]\frac{1}{6^{3}}(\frac{d^{9}}{dx^{9}}(\frac{x-x^{7}}{1-x})^{3})\mid_{(x=0)}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{1}{6^{3}}(\frac{d^{10}}{dx^{10}}(\frac{x-x^{7}}{1-x})^{3})\mid_{(x=0)}[/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is the probability of rolling a nine with one die?

The probability of rolling a nine with one die is 0. The highest number that can be rolled with one die is 6, therefore it is impossible to roll a nine.

2. What is the probability of rolling a nine with two dice?

The probability of rolling a nine with two dice is 1/9 or approximately 11.11%. There are 36 possible outcomes when rolling two dice, and only 4 of those outcomes result in a sum of nine (3+6, 4+5, 5+4, 6+3).

3. What is the probability of rolling a nine with three dice?

The probability of rolling a nine with three dice is 25/216 or approximately 11.57%. There are 216 possible outcomes when rolling three dice, and 25 of those outcomes result in a sum of nine (1+4+4, 2+3+4, 2+4+3, 3+2+4, 3+3+3, 3+4+2, 4+1+4, 4+2+3, 4+3+2, 4+4+1).

4. Is it possible to roll a nine with four or more dice?

Yes, it is possible to roll a nine with four or more dice. However, the probability becomes increasingly smaller as the number of dice increases. For example, with four dice, the probability is 55/1296 or approximately 4.25%, and with five dice, the probability is 295/7776 or approximately 3.79%.

5. How does the probability of rolling a nine change if the dice are loaded?

If the dice are loaded, the probability of rolling a nine may increase or decrease depending on how the dice are loaded. For example, if one of the dice is more likely to land on a higher number, the probability of rolling a nine would decrease. However, if one of the dice is more likely to land on a lower number, the probability of rolling a nine would increase. It is important to note that loaded dice are not typically used in fair games and can significantly alter the probability of outcomes.