1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability question

1. Sep 1, 2008 #1

B2k

jus before i go back to college trying to get a bit of revision done..
    however i seem to have a block on this probability question...

a company makes tablets.. 94% would pass a disintegration test.. an inspector selects 6 at random at least 4 would have to pass, what is the proability of passing this test..?

and.. a study is conducted with 8 people tasting two products.. one with an additive.. 6 people select as product one having the additive.. can people tell a difference? use probabilty to justify your answer.. just wondering how best to prove that statement?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2008 #2

statdad

Homework Helper

What have you tried for each one?

4. Sep 1, 2008 #3

B2k

well for the second part its obvious that people can tell a difference if 6 can identify it.. thats just a straightforward probability q that can be done with the formula p=a/s.. i can do the math for that.. just how to phrase it..

the first part, im a bit stumped.. the answers i get seem far out.. im not sure am i using the % part of it right..

5. Sep 1, 2008 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi B2k! Welcome to PF! :smile:
    So show us what you've done … :wink:

6. Sep 1, 2008 #5

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor
    2015 Award

Here's how I would approach #2. Consider what happens if people CANNOT tell the difference between the two products and just choose randomly. What is the probability that 6/8 choose the correct product?

7. Sep 1, 2008 #6

statdad

Homework Helper

You replied
    Almost. If they cannot tell the difference, and simply make selections at random, you want the probability that at least six of the eight choose this way?

What type of calculation do you need to do to find that probability?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?