Probability Questions Before College: Tablets & Taste Test

In summary, the conversation discusses two probability questions, one involving a company's passing rate and the other involving a study on people's ability to identify a product with an additive. The person asking for help is struggling with both questions and is seeking advice on how to approach them.
B2k
jus before i go back to college trying to get a bit of revision done..
however i seem to have a block on this probability question...

a company makes tablets.. 94% would pass a disintegration test.. an inspector selects 6 at random at least 4 would have to pass, what is the proability of passing this test..?

and.. a study is conducted with 8 people tasting two products.. one with an additive.. 6 people select as product one having the additive.. can people tell a difference? use probabilty to justify your answer.. just wondering how best to prove that statement?

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried for each one?

well for the second part its obvious that people can tell a difference if 6 can identify it.. that's just a straightforward probability q that can be done with the formula p=a/s.. i can do the math for that.. just how to phrase it..

the first part, I am a bit stumped.. the answers i get seem far out.. I am not sure am i using the % part of it right..

Welcome to PF!

Hi B2k! Welcome to PF! :smile:
B2k said:
the first part, I am a bit stumped.. the answers i get seem far out.. I am not sure am i using the % part of it right..

So show us what you've done … :wink:

Here's how I would approach #2. Consider what happens if people CANNOT tell the difference between the two products and just choose randomly. What is the probability that 6/8 choose the correct product?

You replied
Ygggdrasil said:
Here's how I would approach #2. Consider what happens if people CANNOT tell the difference between the two products and just choose randomly. What is the probability that 6/8 choose the correct product?

Almost. If they cannot tell the difference, and simply make selections at random, you want the probability that at least six of the eight choose this way?

What type of calculation do you need to do to find that probability?

1. What is probability?

Probability is the measure of the likelihood of an event occurring. It is expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 indicates impossibility and 1 indicates certainty.

2. What is the difference between experimental and theoretical probability?

Experimental probability is based on actual observations or data collected from experiments, while theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumptions.

3. How do you calculate probability?

Probability can be calculated by dividing the number of desired outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This is known as the probability formula: P(event) = Number of favorable outcomes / Total number of possible outcomes.

4. How do tablets and taste tests relate to probability?

Tablets and taste tests can be used as examples to demonstrate probability in action. In a taste test, the probability of choosing a certain flavor can be calculated based on the total number of flavors available. In the context of tablets, probability can be used to predict the likelihood of certain outcomes, such as the chance of a tablet being defective.

5. Why is understanding probability important?

Understanding probability is important because it helps us make informed decisions and predictions in various situations. It is widely used in fields such as statistics, economics, and science to analyze and interpret data. Additionally, understanding probability can also help us evaluate and manage risks in our daily lives.