1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability question

1. Feb 23, 2009 #1
    Hi, i have this question
    A bag contains 5 red balls, 10 blue balls and 15 green balls. Three balls are drawn from the bag one after another without replacement. The event R1 , R2 , B2 and G3 are defined as follows.

R1 - represents the event the first ball drawn is red.
    R2 - represents the event the second ball drawn is red.
    B2 - represents the event the second ball drawn is blue.
    G3 - represents the event the third ball drawn is green.

Find
    a) i) P(R1 [tex]\cap[/tex] R2)

for this , i drew a tree diagram, for it to be red for the first ball, it has to be 5/30 and for the second to be red it has to be 4/29 thus multiplying them both would give me the answer which is 2/87.

ii) P(R1 [tex]\cup[/tex] R2)

for this i thought of P(R1) + P (R2) - P(R1 [tex]\cap[/tex] R2) would solve the problem but the answer is incorrect and later i see, i don't really know what's the probability of R2 because it could be 5/29 or 4/29.

Please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, that is correct.

For R2, there are two possiblities to consider:
    1) The first ball drawn is red. The probability of that happening is 5/30 and then the probability the second ball drawn is also red is 4/29. The probability the first ball drawn is red and the second ball drawn is red is (5/30)(4/29)= 2/87 as you calculated in the first problem.

2) The first ball drawn is not red. The probability of that happening is 25/30 and then the probability the second ball drawn is red is 5/29. The probability the first ball drawn is not red and the second ball drawn is red is (25/30)(5/29)= 25/174.

The probability that a red ball is drawn second is P(R1 and R2)+ P((not R1) and R2)= 2/87+ 25/174= 29/174.

4. Feb 23, 2009 #3
    Then i guess my book is wrong for the answer, it says 9/29

5. Feb 23, 2009 #4

statdad

Homework Helper

Your book is correct. You have

[tex]
    P(R_1) = 1/6, P(R_2) = 1/6
    [/tex]

and you have

[tex]
    P(R_1 \cap R_2) = 2/{87}
    [/tex]

Now use

[tex]
    P(R_1 \cup R_2) = P(R_1) + P(R_2) - P(R_1 \cap R_2)
    [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook