Solving Probability Question: R1, R2, B2 & G3

In summary, the conversation discusses a bag of balls and the events associated with drawing three balls from the bag without replacement. The probabilities of the events R1 (first ball drawn is red) and R2 (second ball drawn is red) are calculated using a tree diagram, and the probability of the events R1 and R2 occurring together is found to be 2/87. The probability of either R1 or R2 occurring is then calculated to be 29/174, which conflicts with the answer provided in the book. Assistance is requested in understanding the discrepancy.
crays
Hi, i have this question
A bag contains 5 red balls, 10 blue balls and 15 green balls. Three balls are drawn from the bag one after another without replacement. The event R1 , R2 , B2 and G3 are defined as follows.

R1 - represents the event the first ball drawn is red.
R2 - represents the event the second ball drawn is red.
B2 - represents the event the second ball drawn is blue.
G3 - represents the event the third ball drawn is green.

Find
a) i) P(R1 [tex]\cap[/tex] R2)

for this , i drew a tree diagram, for it to be red for the first ball, it has to be 5/30 and for the second to be red it has to be 4/29 thus multiplying them both would give me the answer which is 2/87.

ii) P(R1 [tex]\cup[/tex] R2)

for this i thought of P(R1) + P (R2) - P(R1 [tex]\cap[/tex] R2) would solve the problem but the answer is incorrect and later i see, i don't really know what's the probability of R2 because it could be 5/29 or 4/29.

Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
crays said:
Hi, i have this question
A bag contains 5 red balls, 10 blue balls and 15 green balls. Three balls are drawn from the bag one after another without replacement. The event R1 , R2 , B2 and G3 are defined as follows.

R1 - represents the event the first ball drawn is red.
R2 - represents the event the second ball drawn is red.
B2 - represents the event the second ball drawn is blue.
G3 - represents the event the third ball drawn is green.

Find
a) i) P(R1 [tex]\cap[/tex] R2)

for this , i drew a tree diagram, for it to be red for the first ball, it has to be 5/30 and for the second to be red it has to be 4/29 thus multiplying them both would give me the answer which is 2/87.
Yes, that is correct.

ii) P(R1 [tex]\cup[/tex] R2)

for this i thought of P(R1) + P (R2) - P(R1 [tex]\cap[/tex] R2) would solve the problem but the answer is incorrect and later i see, i don't really know what's the probability of R2 because it could be 5/29 or 4/29.

Please help.
For R2, there are two possiblities to consider:
1) The first ball drawn is red. The probability of that happening is 5/30 and then the probability the second ball drawn is also red is 4/29. The probability the first ball drawn is red and the second ball drawn is red is (5/30)(4/29)= 2/87 as you calculated in the first problem.

2) The first ball drawn is not red. The probability of that happening is 25/30 and then the probability the second ball drawn is red is 5/29. The probability the first ball drawn is not red and the second ball drawn is red is (25/30)(5/29)= 25/174.

The probability that a red ball is drawn second is P(R1 and R2)+ P((not R1) and R2)= 2/87+ 25/174= 29/174.

Then i guess my book is wrong for the answer, it says 9/29

Your book is correct. You have

[tex]
P(R_1) = 1/6, P(R_2) = 1/6
[/tex]

and you have

[tex]
P(R_1 \cap R_2) = 2/{87}
[/tex]

Now use

[tex]
P(R_1 \cup R_2) = P(R_1) + P(R_2) - P(R_1 \cap R_2)
[/tex]

Related to Solving Probability Question: R1, R2, B2 & G3

1. What is the probability of drawing a red card?

The probability of drawing a red card would be 2/5, since there are a total of 5 cards and 2 of them are red.

2. What is the probability of drawing a black card after drawing a red card?

The probability of drawing a black card after drawing a red card would be 2/4, since there are now 4 cards left and 2 of them are black.

3. What is the probability of drawing a red card or a green card?

The probability of drawing a red card or a green card would be 3/5, since there are a total of 5 cards and 2 of them are red and 1 is green.

4. What is the probability of drawing a red card and then a green card?

The probability of drawing a red card and then a green card would be 2/5 * 1/4 = 1/10, since the probability of drawing a red card is 2/5 and then the probability of drawing a green card is 1/4 (since there are now 4 cards left).

5. What is the probability of drawing a red card or a black card after not drawing a green card?

The probability of drawing a red card or a black card after not drawing a green card would be 4/5, since there are a total of 5 cards and only 1 of them is green, leaving 4 cards that are either red or black.