Probability that a bulb lasts for at least 7 months

In summary: So it's fine I guess.In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the exponential distribution to solve a problem involving the probability of a light bulb failing within a certain time frame. The mean and probability of failure are calculated using different methods, including integrating the exponential distribution PDF and using a Poisson process with a zero arrival rate. The conversation also touches on the relationship between the constant in the exponential power and the coefficient.
jaus tail

Homework Statement

upload_2018-1-8_15-47-40.png

Homework Equations

I don't even know how to start this. Should I use Poisson's distribution. Or assume f(x) = exp(-x)
And then since mean is given we have integration from 0 to infinite xf(x) is mean.
Not sure what this will give.

The Attempt at a Solution

Let f(x) be probability that bulb won't fuse in month x.
So f(x) = ke-x where x is months. k is some constant
So integrating from 0 to infinity f(x) should be 1 as all probability integration/summation is 1
This gives k = 1
So f(x) = e-x
Now integrating this from 0 to 6 I get: 0.99.
I subtract this from 1. I get 0.002478. This doesn't match book answer which is 0.2466

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-8_15-47-40.png
    upload_2018-1-8_15-47-40.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 880
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, you don't use Poisson's distribution; you use the exponential distribution, because you are told it's exponential.
The probability of the lifetime being between t and t+dt (i.e. the probability that it fails during this interval) is f(t)dt, where
f(t) = (1/τ)*e-t/τ where τ is a constant
What is the mean lifetime of this distribution? (If you don't know this for the exponential distribution, it is easy to work out).
What is the probability of the lifetime being longer than a given value of t?

Likes jaus tail
Why is constant same for exponential power and it's coefficient?
Mean is integrating xf(x) from limits 0 to infinity.
Taking constant k, I get to find mean:
Integrating: ke(-kt)dt from limits 0 to infinity. This equals 5--> Given in question.
So I do this and get value of k as 1/5
f(life of bulb) = f(bulb fuses in time x) is 1/5 e(-5t)
Now to find probability that bulb lasts for atleast 7 months. This is 1 - P(bulb fuses in this time) = 1 - integrating f(x) from limits 0 to 7
∫(1/5)e-5tdt limits 0 to 7
which is 0.7534

So 1 - 0.7534 gives 0.2466
Matches book answer.
But why did you take constant in exponential part same as constant in coefficient part?

Because that's how it works out. If you let f(t) = Ae-kt and integrate it from 0 to infinity, the integral equals 1 if A = k.

Likes jaus tail
jaus tail said:
Why is constant same for exponential power and it's coefficient?
Mean is integrating xf(x) from limits 0 to infinity.
Taking constant k, I get to find mean:
Integrating: ke(-kt)dt from limits 0 to infinity. This equals 5--> Given in question.
So I do this and get value of k as 1/5
f(life of bulb) = f(bulb fuses in time x) is 1/5 e(-5t)
Now to find probability that bulb lasts for atleast 7 months. This is 1 - P(bulb fuses in this time) = 1 - integrating f(x) from limits 0 to 7
∫(1/5)e-5tdt limits 0 to 7
which is 0.7534

So 1 - 0.7534 gives 0.2466
Matches book answer.
But why did you take constant in exponential part same as constant in coefficient part?

Why did YOU write ##k e^{-kt}?## BTW: that should be ##(1/5) e^{-t/5}##, not ##(1/5) e^{-5t}## as you wrote.

Likes jaus tail
Thread moved. Any question that involves integration or differentiation should be posted in the Calculus & Beyond section.

mjc123 said:
No, you don't use Poisson's distribution; you use the exponential distribution, because you are told it's exponential.
This statement is extremely narrow to the point I'd call it wrong.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

A Poisson process is a counting process with exponential interrarival times. The problem can be solved with the use

(a) integrating the exponential distribution PDF, which is what was done and the least efficient method
(b) using the (complement of) CDF of the exponential distribution, with ##\lambda = \frac{1}{5}## and ##\tau = 7##
(c) using a Poisson distribution with ##\lambda = \frac{1}{5}##, ##\text{time} =\tau = 7## and ##k_{arrivals} = 0##

in general we can see that the complement of the CDF of the exponential distribution in (b) is equivalent to a counting process of exponentials with zero arrivals at time ##\tau## i.e. (c).

I.e. for that one arrival with some fixed ##\lambda##, with arrival time ##T##

## P(T \gt \tau) = 1 - CDF_{\lambda}(\tau) = P_{\lambda}(0, \tau\big)##

If OP is able to draw the picture and understand what it means for a counting process to have had zero arrivals (i.e. not even one light bulb burnt out) at time ##\tau## and each (inter)arrival is exponentially distributed, then yes using a Poisson is in fact how I'd suggest this problem be answered.

No integration needed.

Likes jaus tail
Thanks. I hadn't taken the k part inside the exponential curve earlier. I think it's same if you write k or 1/(constant). In first case I got k as 1/5, in second case I'll get 5.

1. What is the probability of a bulb lasting for at least 7 months?

The probability of a bulb lasting for at least 7 months depends on various factors such as the quality of the bulb, usage patterns, and environmental conditions. It is not possible to determine an exact probability without specific information about these factors.

2. How can we calculate the probability of a bulb lasting for at least 7 months?

To calculate the probability of a bulb lasting for at least 7 months, we need to know the total number of bulbs, the number of bulbs that lasted for at least 7 months, and the total number of months the bulbs were in use. The formula for calculating probability is: P = (Number of favorable outcomes) / (Total number of possible outcomes).

3. Is there a way to increase the probability of a bulb lasting for at least 7 months?

Yes, there are ways to increase the probability of a bulb lasting for at least 7 months. Using high-quality bulbs, following proper usage guidelines, and maintaining suitable environmental conditions can all increase the chances of a bulb lasting for a longer time.

4. Can we predict the exact lifespan of a bulb?

No, it is not possible to predict the exact lifespan of a bulb. Even with the best quality bulbs, there are many external factors that can affect their lifespan. However, by analyzing past data and using statistical methods, we can estimate the probability of a bulb lasting for a certain period of time.

5. How does the probability of a bulb lasting for at least 7 months impact purchasing decisions?

The probability of a bulb lasting for at least 7 months can play a significant role in purchasing decisions. Consumers may be willing to pay more for a bulb with a higher probability of lasting for a longer time, especially if they use the bulb frequently. On the other hand, for bulbs that are not used as often, a lower probability may not have as much of an impact on purchasing decisions.