1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability that a two is thrown

1. Aug 18, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A die is based so that the numbers 5 & 6 appear 3 times more often than the numbers 2 , 3 & 4. Calculate;
    i)The probability that a two is thrown.
    ii)The probability that two consecutive throws are > or equal to 10.

3. The attempt at a solution

Well I wasn't sure how to go about this so i imagined all of the outcomes;

5 5 5 6 6 6 2 3 4 , satisfies the criteria meaning a 2 would be 1/9, however i have a feeling that that's nonsense...:S

Then for ii) Combo's are 46 64 65 56 55 66 so (4 * 1/9) + (2 * (3/81) = (36/81+6/81) = (42/81)?

I don't know how to go about these questions, sorry for bugging everyone >.<

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2009 #2

jgens

Gold Member

Re: Probability

Well, here's another way of looking at (i) . . .

Let x be the probability that you roll a 2, then the probability that you roll a 3 or a 4 is also x and the probability that you roll a 5 or 6 is then 3x. We know that the sum of the probabilities of each possible outcome must be 1 so x + x + x + 3x + 3x = 9x = 1. Therefore x = 1/9.

4. Aug 18, 2009 #3

Please clarify:

Did you mean to say "a die is biased so that..."?

Does the die really have five sides (such dice do exist) or is it that this is a normal six-sided die with repeated markings?

What is the probability of rolling a 1 if this is in fact a classically marked six-sided die?

Without this information, the question may not be answerable.

--Elucidus

5. Aug 19, 2009 #4

sorry, yeah, having a 1 is impossible, i think it just means it's a wierdly shaped dice or something :S

edit: and thanks jgens that's a much simpler and better way of looking at it >.<

6. Aug 19, 2009 #5

jgens has explained the first part. In order to answer the second part, you need to determine how the two dice might have a sum >= 10 and find the probability that those results could occur.

--Elucidus

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook