Probability that a two is thrown

• Thread starter Chewy0087
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the probability of rolling a two and the probability of rolling two consecutive throws that are equal to or greater than ten using a biased die. There are multiple ways to approach the problem, including imagining all possible outcomes and using mathematical equations. The conversation also addresses clarifying details such as the shape of the die and the probability of rolling a one.
Chewy0087

Homework Statement

A die is based so that the numbers 5 & 6 appear 3 times more often than the numbers 2 , 3 & 4. Calculate;
i)The probability that a two is thrown.
ii)The probability that two consecutive throws are > or equal to 10.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I wasn't sure how to go about this so i imagined all of the outcomes;

5 5 5 6 6 6 2 3 4 , satisfies the criteria meaning a 2 would be 1/9, however i have a feeling that that's nonsense...:S

Then for ii) Combo's are 46 64 65 56 55 66 so (4 * 1/9) + (2 * (3/81) = (36/81+6/81) = (42/81)?

I don't know how to go about these questions, sorry for bugging everyone >.<

Physics news on Phys.org

Well, here's another way of looking at (i) . . .

Let x be the probability that you roll a 2, then the probability that you roll a 3 or a 4 is also x and the probability that you roll a 5 or 6 is then 3x. We know that the sum of the probabilities of each possible outcome must be 1 so x + x + x + 3x + 3x = 9x = 1. Therefore x = 1/9.

Please clarify:

Did you mean to say "a die is biased so that..."?

Does the die really have five sides (such dice do exist) or is it that this is a normal six-sided die with repeated markings?

What is the probability of rolling a 1 if this is in fact a classically marked six-sided die?

Without this information, the question may not be answerable.

--Elucidus

sorry, yeah, having a 1 is impossible, i think it just means it's a wierdly shaped dice or something :S

edit: and thanks jgens that's a much simpler and better way of looking at it >.<

jgens has explained the first part. In order to answer the second part, you need to determine how the two dice might have a sum >= 10 and find the probability that those results could occur.

--Elucidus

What is the probability of throwing a two on a single dice?

The probability of throwing a two on a single dice is 1/6 or approximately 16.67%.

What is the probability of throwing a two on two dice?

The probability of throwing a two on two dice is 1/36 or approximately 2.78%.

What is the probability of throwing a two on three dice?

The probability of throwing a two on three dice is 1/216 or approximately 0.46%.

What is the probability of throwing a two at least once in three rolls of a single dice?

The probability of throwing a two at least once in three rolls of a single dice is 39.58%.

How does the probability of throwing a two change if two dice are rolled simultaneously?

The probability of throwing a two remains the same regardless of whether the dice are rolled simultaneously or separately. It is still 1/6 or approximately 16.67%.