1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probabilty in a torrent (advanced probability)

1. Feb 25, 2014 #1
    As i watched the torrent i noticed that the files are downloaded completely at random. That is to say if you have 10 files, each 200mb, by the time the torrent is downloaded 10 % you can have 1 full file, or 80 % of one, 20 % of another , 10 % of all and so on. If you played a game, which is you bet on % of the total downloading of a torrent, and you win if the difference in mb between the most downloaded file and the least is greater than other person's > what percentage should you bet. Then you play the same game, but this time the goal is the sum of the first 3 files to be exactly 85 % greater than the sum of the last two. Also you examine the possibility of being an interval of numbers, when the chance is greatest, or the problem may not be leginamite at all and in this case, please tell why.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2014 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

In some contexts, saying something happens "at random" has an obvious mathematical interpretation. However, in very many contexts the statement that something happens "at random" is ambiguous. What specific random process do you have in mind for modelling how files are downloaded?

(If you can state the process, then perhaps you can write a computer simulation to answer your question.)

4. Feb 26, 2014 #3
    It's like preflop poker play.

5. Feb 27, 2014 #4
    This is the same random used in all probability e.g random like the movement of the particles of the atom, so you can't possibly know(although i know is unachievable in a normal computer).

6. Feb 27, 2014 #5

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

There is no unique meaning for "random" that is used in all probability problems. If you want a specific mathematical answer, you'll have to ask a specific question. (I'm not saying it's easy to ask a specific mathematical question. To do so, requires learning various mathematical definitions.)

7. Feb 28, 2014 #6
    You have x amount of water, poured % by % in two vessels at random. At which point is most likely the difference between the two vessels to be greatest(20%, 50% etc.). (For a problem to be wrong, it has to be inadequately explained or contradictory in nature, not which language is used.) Please tell me if you understood the problem, how it should be given?

8. Feb 28, 2014 #7

MarneMath

Education Advisor

How are torrents remotely close to 'completely random'. You can nearly predict the download times based on peer level, protocol, and traffic. The problem is you don't know these factors for each download so it appears 'completely random' to you. If you control for these external factors, i would bet that you should expect download times to end approximately around the same time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook