1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probabilty to find.

1. Feb 4, 2010 #1
    probabilty to find.......

Hello,
    I have a question......
    if there is 1 man with 6 ft height in 500 people. What will be the probability to find men with 6 ft in europe(say) or if I say like this......there is 1 man with 6 ft height in 500 people, what is the percentage of 6 ft high men in Europe.

Its a stupid question, but I would like to know the way it is calculated in psychological studies when they make statistics.
    Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Re: probabilty to find.......

Assuming that men's heights are distributed in Europe in the same way (i.e., 1 6-foot man per 500 people), the percentage of 6 ft. men in Europe would be 1/500 = .2/100 = 0.2%.

On the other hand, there are probably many more 6-footers per 500 people than you assumed, especially in some of the northern European countries. For example, the average height of a male in Germany is 5 ft. 10 in., and the Netherlands, it is between 5 ft. 10 in. and 6 ft (different groups have different averages). This means that for Dutch males, about half would be shorter than 6 ft. and about half would be taller. That's a long way from 1 person in 500.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook