How to Understand and Solve the Chain Rule Problem in Calculus?

In summary, $\dot{r}$ represents the full derivative of $r$ with respect to $t$ for a set of variables $(q_1,...,q_n,t)$, while $r$ represents the derivative of $r$ with respect to $t$ for a specific variable $t$.
Another1
\[ \frac{\partial \dot{r}}{\partial \dot{q_k}} = \frac{\partial r}{\partial q_k} \]
where
\[ r = r(q_1,...,q_n,t \]

solution

\[ \frac{dr }{dt } = \frac{\partial r}{\partial t} + \sum_{i} \frac{\partial r}{\partial q_i}\frac{\partial q_i}{\partial t}\]
\[ \dot{r} = \frac{\partial r}{\partial t} + \sum_{i} \frac{\partial r}{\partial q_i}\dot{q_i}\]

let
\[ \frac{\partial\dot{r}}{\partial \dot{q_k}} = \frac{\partial^2r}{\partial\dot{q_k} \partial t} +\frac{\partial}{\partial \dot{q_k}} ( \frac{\partial r}{\partial q_1} \dot{q_1} + ... + \frac{\partial r}{\partial q_k} \dot{q_k} + ... + \frac{\partial r}{\partial q_n} \dot{q_n} ) \]

I think
\[\frac{\partial^2r}{\partial\dot{q_k} \partial t} = 0 \]
and
\[ \frac{\partial}{\partial \dot{q_k}} ( \frac{\partial r}{\partial q_n} \dot{q_n}) = 0\]for k not equal to n

Physics news on Phys.org
What does $\dot{r}$ mean and how is it different from $r$?

Country Boy said:
What does $\dot{r}$ mean and how is it different from $r$?

$\dot{r} $ mean full derivative of r by dt because \[ r=r(q_1,...,q_n,t) \] and \[ q_n = q_n(t) \]
any $q_n$ as function of time so $\dot{r}$is formed by taking the derivative with respect to dt for $( q_1,...,q_n,t )$

1. What is the chain rule?

The chain rule is a mathematical rule used to find the derivative of a composite function, which is a function composed of two or more other functions. It allows us to calculate the rate of change of the outer function with respect to the inner function.

2. Why is the chain rule important?

The chain rule is important because it is a fundamental tool in calculus and is used to solve many problems in physics, engineering, economics, and other fields. It also helps us understand the relationship between different variables in a composite function.

3. How do you apply the chain rule?

To apply the chain rule, you need to identify the outer function and the inner function in a composite function. Then, you take the derivative of the outer function and multiply it by the derivative of the inner function. This product is then multiplied by the derivative of the inner function with respect to the independent variable.

4. Can you give an example of using the chain rule?

Sure, let's say we have the function f(x) = (x^2 + 3x)^2. The outer function is (x^2 + 3x)^2 and the inner function is x^2 + 3x. To find the derivative, we first take the derivative of the outer function, which is 2(x^2 + 3x). Then, we multiply it by the derivative of the inner function, which is 2x + 3. Finally, we multiply it by the derivative of the inner function with respect to x, which is 2x. The result is 2(x^2 + 3x)(2x + 3)(2x) = 4x(x^2 + 3x)(2x + 3).

5. How does the chain rule relate to the product rule and quotient rule?

The chain rule is closely related to the product rule and quotient rule, as it is used to find the derivative of a composite function. The product rule is used to find the derivative of a product of two functions, while the quotient rule is used to find the derivative of a quotient of two functions. The chain rule is used when the two functions are composed together.