1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem from Eisberg: Blackbody Radiation

1. Oct 15, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In case of Cavity Radiation(Blackbody radiation) let [tex]\rho_{T}(\nu)d\nu[/tex] denote the energy density of radiation having frequency in the interval [tex]\nu[/tex] and [tex]\nu + d\nu[/tex].
    Then we need to show that [tex]\frac{\int_{0}^{\lambda_{max}} \rho_{T}(\nu)d\nu}{\int_{0}^{\infty} \rho_{T}(\nu)d\nu} \approx \frac{1}{4} [/tex]
    where [tex]\lambda_{max}[/tex] is the wavelength at which the radiation is most intense.

2. Relevant equations
    The obvious rela\evant equation is
    [tex]\rho_{T}(\nu)d\nu = \frac{8\pi h\nu^{3}}{c^{3}}\cdot \frac{d\nu}{e^{\frac{h\nu}{kT}}-1}[/tex] . But the problem is the integration part. Can some one please help me with that?

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2008 #2
    OK, so:

[tex]\int \nu ^3 \cdot (e^{\frac{h\nu}{k_b T}}-1)^{-1} \cdot \delta \nu[/tex]

Is the equation you need to solve, so you can use:

[tex]\int A \delta B = AB - \int B \delta A[/tex]

(from the differentiation product rule). There's a start. Let me know if it helped.

Sam :smile:
  4. Oct 15, 2008 #3
    Oops, and you'll probably need this standard integral:

[tex]\int_0^{\infty} \frac{x^3}{e^x -1}\delta x = \frac{\pi^4}{15}[/tex]

Sam :smile:
  5. Oct 15, 2008 #4
    Yes i could evaluate the denominator using the standard integral u have mentioned, however the Numerator is creating trouble. I have also tried a parts argument, doesnt seem to be taking me any where :cry:
    Some1 please help asap
  6. Oct 16, 2008 #5
    I can't do this without some assumptions, have you stated the WHOLE question from the start?

7. Oct 16, 2008 #6
    Yes I have indeed given all the necessary details the problem demands. Essentially my doubt boils down to evaluating the integral
    [tex]\int_{0}^{a} \frac{t^{3}}{e^{t}-1}dt[/tex] ; [tex]a[/tex] being some constant.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?