Problem getting my matrices in correct form

In summary, the conversation was about diagonalizing a matrix in order to solve a problem with three equations of motion. The person was having trouble understanding how to use the Ansatz and arrive at the desired matrix form. They were given hints and suggestions on how to approach the problem, and eventually figured it out by creating separate matrices for M, K, and X and then combining them.
saybrook1

Homework Statement

Hello guys; I am currently dealing with a problem that I have faced before several times and I would like to know a consistent way on how to solve it. I think what I want to do is diagonalize a matrix but I'm not sure if that's exactly it. Basically I have two or three equations of motion and I want to put them in a good matrix form in order to begin finding solutions. In this particular problem I have three equations of motion and the book I'm using puts them into a nice matrix form right away and I'm not sure how to get there. Here is a picture of what they've done:
Classical Mechanics Matrix.jpg

I know how to create these matrices for 'm' and 'k' when they are more symmetric if you will but I don't know how to make it nice like this. This will help me so much on other problems I also have to deal with. For some stupid reason I've ran into this wall multiple times. Thanks in advance.

Homework Equations

3 equations of motion put into a nice diagonalized matrix

The Attempt at a Solution

I just don't understand how to get it into this nice 'diagonalized(?)' matrix form. If anyone can help out, this will greatly help me in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I understand what you want. The form you get there, which is not diagonal by the way, by tridiagonal, is due to the fact that there is only nearest neighbor coupling. If there was an additional spring between 1 and 3, the matrix would look different.

Note also that the result is due to the Ansatz that motion is harmonic, as given by the intermediate equation. This is what transforms the problem into an eigenproblem, with ω2 the eigenvalue.

DrClaude said:
I'm not sure I understand what you want. The form you get there, which is not diagonal by the way, by tridiagonal, is due to the fact that there is only nearest neighbor coupling. If there was an additional spring between 1 and 3, the matrix would look different.

Note also that the result is due to the Ansatz that motion is harmonic, as given by the intermediate equation. This is what transforms the problem into an eigenproblem, with ω2 the eigenvalue.
Okay, thank you for your response. I guess I'm just not sure exactly how to use the Ansatz and arrive at this matrix form. It says "substitution gives"... Not sure what substitution they are making,

saybrook1 said:

Homework Statement

Hello guys; I am currently dealing with a problem that I have faced before several times and I would like to know a consistent way on how to solve it. I think what I want to do is diagonalize a matrix but I'm not sure if that's exactly it. Basically I have two or three equations of motion and I want to put them in a good matrix form in order to begin finding solutions. In this particular problem I have three equations of motion and the book I'm using puts them into a nice matrix form right away and I'm not sure how to get there. Here is a picture of what they've done:
View attachment 92936
I know how to create these matrices for 'm' and 'k' when they are more symmetric if you will but I don't know how to make it nice like this. This will help me so much on other problems I also have to deal with. For some stupid reason I've ran into this wall multiple times. Thanks in advance.

Homework Equations

I just don't understand how to get it into this nice 'diagonalized(?)' matrix form. If anyone can help out, this will greatly help me in the future.
It's just a matter of organizing and re-arranging the unknowns, x10, etc., after making the substitution of the trial solution into the equations in (1).

SteamKing said:
It's just a matter of organizing and re-arranging the unknowns, x10, etc., after making the substitution of the trial solution into the equations in (1).
Okay, thanks, I'll give it a shot.

SteamKing said:
It's tough because after I substitute in the Ansatz, I still don't know where the [itex](k-\omega^2M)[/itex] comes from or why it's only associated with the [itex]\ddot{x}[/itex] terms. Any hints as to how that works would be excellent. Also, if someone happens to know a situation where you need to diagonalize a matrix or simultaneous diagonalize two matrices and could point me in the direction of an example of such a situation that would be really great. Thanks

saybrook1 said:
It's tough because after I substitute in the Ansatz, I still don't know where the [itex](k-\omega^2M)[/itex] comes from or why it's only associated with the [itex]\ddot{x}[/itex] terms. Any hints as to how that works would be excellent. Thanks.
Well, take the first equation in (1), namely ##M\ddot{x_1} + k(x_1 - x_2) = 0## and make the substitution ##x_i = x_{i0} e^{i\omega t}##. Note that the i-subscript is not the same as i in the exponential function, which is the imaginary unit.

SteamKing said:
Well, take the first equation in (1), namely ##M\ddot{x_1} + k(x_1 - x_2) = 0## and make the substitution ##x_i = x_{i0} e^{i\omega t}##. Note that the i-subscript is not the same as i in the exponential function, which is the imaginary unit.
Right, I did that and I end up with [itex]M(\ddot{x_{10}}e^{i\omega t})+k(x_{10}e^{i\omega t}-x_{20}e^{i\omega t}) = 0 [/itex]. Not sure where to go after that.

Ended up figuring this out by creating a matrix for M and K and X all separately and then combining them. Still not exactly sure how to get there with the Ansatz but I appreciate the help you guys gave me. Thanks

saybrook1 said:
Right, I did that and I end up with [itex]M(\ddot{x_{10}}e^{i\omega t})+k(x_{10}e^{i\omega t}-x_{20}e^{i\omega t}) = 0 [/itex]. Not sure where to go after that.
That's not correct. Remember that ##\ddot{x}## means ##\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}##, so when you do the substitution:
$$
\begin{align*}
M \ddot{x_{1}} &= M \frac{d^2x}{dt^2} \\
&= M \frac{d^2}{dt^2} ( x_{10}e^{i\omega t} ) \\
&= -M \omega^2 x_{10} \mathbf{e^{i\omega t}}
\end{align*}
$$
(##x_{10}## is independent of time; the entire time dependence of ##x_{1}## is in the exponential)

Edit: missing exponential in bold added.

Last edited:
DrClaude said:
That's not correct. Remember that ##\ddot{x}## means ##\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}##, so when you do the substitution:
$$
\begin{align*}
M \ddot{x_{1}} &= M \frac{d^2x}{dt^2} \\
&= M \frac{d^2}{dt^2} ( x_{10}e^{i\omega t} ) \\
&= -M \omega^2 x_{10}
\end{align*}
$$
(##x_{10}## is independent of time; the entire time dependence of ##x_{1}## is in the exponential)

That's great, thank you! why do we drop the exponential at the end though?

saybrook1 said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 92936

Homework Equations

The general solution does not have quite as simple a form as you suggest: besides ##x_k = x_{k0} \, e^{i \omega t}## terms there are also terms of the form ##x_1 = x_2 = x_3 = a + b t##. This is due in part to the fact that when written as a ##6 \times 6## linear first-order system we get a ##6 \times 6## matrix that is not quite diagonalizable: one of its Jordan blocks is non-diagonal. I can tell you more if you are interested.

saybrook1 said:
That's great, thank you! why do we drop the exponential at the end though?
It is still there, I just forgot to add it. Eventually, you multiply everything by ##e^{-i \omega t}##, so it goes away.

DrClaude said:
It is still there, I just forgot to add it. Eventually, you multiply everything by ##e^{-i \omega t}##, so it goes away.
Gotchya okay, thanks a bunch for the help.

FAQ: Problem getting my matrices in correct form

1. Why is it important to have matrices in correct form in scientific research?

Having matrices in correct form is important because it helps to make sure that the data is organized and structured in a way that can be easily analyzed and interpreted. This is essential for conducting accurate and reliable scientific research.

2. What are some common errors that can cause problems with matrix form?

Some common errors that can cause problems with matrix form include incorrect placement of numbers, using the wrong mathematical operations, and not following the proper order of operations. It is important to double check your work and make sure that all calculations are accurate.

3. How can I ensure that my matrices are in the correct form?

To ensure that your matrices are in the correct form, it is important to follow the rules of matrix algebra and pay attention to detail when performing calculations. It can also be helpful to use a calculator or software program specifically designed for working with matrices.

4. Can using incorrect matrix form affect the results of my scientific study?

Yes, using incorrect matrix form can greatly affect the results of a scientific study. This is because it can lead to incorrect calculations and interpretations, which can ultimately impact the overall conclusions and findings of the study.

5. Are there any resources available to help with understanding and using matrix form?

Yes, there are many resources available to help with understanding and using matrix form in scientific research. These include online tutorials, textbooks, and even online communities where you can ask for help and advice from other scientists and mathematicians.