Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Problem interpreting the divergence result

1. Feb 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I take the divergence of the function:
    [tex]V=x^2 \boldsymbol{\hat {x}}+3xz^2\boldsymbol{\hat {y}}-2xz\boldsymbol{\hat {z}}[/tex]
    And get zero. the answer doesn't make sense, since i expect to get a zero divergence only for a function that looks like the one in the drawing attached.
    3. The attempt at a solution
    [tex]\nabla \cdot V=2x+0-2x=0[/tex]
    I test to see whether the function V behaves like in the drawing.
    The function V at an arbitrary point, (1,1,1) is:
    [tex]V_(1,1,1)=1\boldsymbol{\hat {x}}+3\boldsymbol{\hat {y}}-2\boldsymbol{\hat {z}}[/tex]
    And, on another arbitrary point, lets say (2,2,2):
    [tex]V_(2,2,2)=4\boldsymbol{\hat {x}}+6\boldsymbol{\hat {y}}-6\boldsymbol{\hat {z}}[/tex]
    The vectors are different, not the same like i expected.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Karol! :smile:

Think of a vector field V as showing the velocity of a fluid at each point.

If the fluid has constant density ("incompressible"), then divV = 0.

divV = 0 is another way of saying that, for a fixed region of space, the flow in equals the flow out.

Alternatively, if we look at a fixed mass of fluid, divV = 0 says that that fixed mass may change shape, but it will always have the same volume. :wink:

4. Feb 21, 2012 #3
    Does Div V=0 also mean that the vector V at point B must have the same length as the vector at point A, but may change it's direction, like in the new drawing attached?
    But the function V doesn't even support this state since the magnitude of the two vectors i have calculated, at points (1,1,1) and (2,2,2) isn't the same!
    I see no regularity in V, but, of course, i cannot know from inspecting only 2 points

Attached Files:

5. Feb 22, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Karol! :smile:

(just got up :zzz:)
    No.

Imagine V is the velocity of water flowing through a pipe that's wider near the end …

the water will slow down, but it won't change density …

|V| is less, but divV = 0 …

A disc of water will get wider but thinner … same volume, different shape :wink:

If you drew arrows to show the flow, you would have to draw shorter arrows, but more of them.​

6. Feb 22, 2012 #5
    Thanks, Tim, but the divergence is in a point, and you are talking about volumes of water

7. Feb 22, 2012 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Agreed, but div is a derivative, so …

i] I'm allowed to talk about an infinitesimal volume

ii] I'm allowed to integrate over a finite volume :wink:

(also, you are talking about divV = 0 everywhere: so divV = 0 over a volume)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook