1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem interpreting the divergence result

1. Feb 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I take the divergence of the function:
    [tex]V=x^2 \boldsymbol{\hat {x}}+3xz^2\boldsymbol{\hat {y}}-2xz\boldsymbol{\hat {z}}[/tex]
    And get zero. the answer doesn't make sense, since i expect to get a zero divergence only for a function that looks like the one in the drawing attached.
    3. The attempt at a solution
    [tex]\nabla \cdot V=2x+0-2x=0[/tex]
    I test to see whether the function V behaves like in the drawing.
    The function V at an arbitrary point, (1,1,1) is:
    [tex]V_(1,1,1)=1\boldsymbol{\hat {x}}+3\boldsymbol{\hat {y}}-2\boldsymbol{\hat {z}}[/tex]
    And, on another arbitrary point, lets say (2,2,2):
    [tex]V_(2,2,2)=4\boldsymbol{\hat {x}}+6\boldsymbol{\hat {y}}-6\boldsymbol{\hat {z}}[/tex]
    The vectors are different, not the same like i expected.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Karol! :smile:

Think of a vector field V as showing the velocity of a fluid at each point.

If the fluid has constant density ("incompressible"), then divV = 0.

divV = 0 is another way of saying that, for a fixed region of space, the flow in equals the flow out.

Alternatively, if we look at a fixed mass of fluid, divV = 0 says that that fixed mass may change shape, but it will always have the same volume. :wink:

4. Feb 21, 2012 #3
    Does Div V=0 also mean that the vector V at point B must have the same length as the vector at point A, but may change it's direction, like in the new drawing attached?
    But the function V doesn't even support this state since the magnitude of the two vectors i have calculated, at points (1,1,1) and (2,2,2) isn't the same!
    I see no regularity in V, but, of course, i cannot know from inspecting only 2 points

Attached Files:

5. Feb 22, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Karol! :smile:

(just got up :zzz:)
    No.

Imagine V is the velocity of water flowing through a pipe that's wider near the end …

the water will slow down, but it won't change density …

|V| is less, but divV = 0 …

A disc of water will get wider but thinner … same volume, different shape :wink:

If you drew arrows to show the flow, you would have to draw shorter arrows, but more of them.​

6. Feb 22, 2012 #5
    Thanks, Tim, but the divergence is in a point, and you are talking about volumes of water

7. Feb 22, 2012 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Agreed, but div is a derivative, so …

i] I'm allowed to talk about an infinitesimal volume

ii] I'm allowed to integrate over a finite volume :wink:

(also, you are talking about divV = 0 everywhere: so divV = 0 over a volume)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook