Problem involving static equilibrium

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of different coordinate systems in calculating net torque in a problem involving an accelerating trailer. The author's solution uses the center of mass as the origin, while the other person suggests using the wheel as the center of rotation. There is also a discussion about the use of pseudo forces and the equivalence principle in introductory physics. The conversation ends with one person questioning the idea of teaching the equivalence principle in an introductory physics course.
issacnewton
Hi

I have posted the picture of the problem. I have already done the problem but I have some
questions. Here the trailer is accelerating due to the applied force P. I used an inertial frame of
reference at some distance to the left of the car.And then did the torque calculations with respect to the stationary frame. But the author's (Serway,Jewett) solution takes center of mass (CM) as the origin of the coordinate system to calculate the net torque.

Now my question is about the choice of coordinate system. Physics laws are valid in an inertial frames of references. Since the trailer is accelerating, how can we fix the coordinate system to the CM of the trailer for the purpose of calculations. In such case, we will need to come up with some pseudo forces.

Any inputs ?

thanks

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 461
Physics news on Phys.org
Even if the trailer is accelerating, can one not assume that the pulling force P will be such that it must remain level? (otherwise it'll be a short and messy ride...)

I suppose you could make a new g, call it g', that is the vector sum of the gravitational and linear accelerations. Then your problem becomes purely static.

I would think that using the wheel as a center of rotation for the trailer would make more sense, since that's where it'll pivot. The center of mass, being away from the pivot point, will generate a torque.

gneill said:
I suppose you could make a new g, call it g', that is the vector sum of the gravitational and linear accelerations. Then your problem becomes purely static.

So do we have to come up with fictitious forces if the coordinate system is fixed to the trailer ?

IssacNewton said:
So do we have to come up with fictitious forces if the coordinate system is fixed to the trailer ?
Nope. Not once you've 'transitioned' to the new g! What you see is what you get.

This is based opon the Equivalence Principle, which implies that a real acceleration is indistinguishable from a gravitational acceleration.

You can use any orgin you want. In static equilibrium problems it is always easier to pick a point where there is an applied force (so there are fewer equations) and where the level arms are easy to calculate. I looked at the picture before reading your post and I immediately picked the CM as a convenient origin.

gneill said:
This is based opon the Equivalence Principle, which implies that a real acceleration is indistinguishable from a gravitational acceleration.

Hi I am thinking from introductory physics perspective. They don't teach equivalence principle yet, but they emphasis that Newton's laws are valid in inertial frames. So when we fix
the frame in the accelerating trailer, we are no longer in an inertial frame and to use equations of static equilibrium we need to have inertial frame since we are basically going to use Newton's
laws.

IssacNewton said:
Hi I am thinking from introductory physics perspective. They don't teach equivalence principle yet, but they emphasis that Newton's laws are valid in inertial frames. So when we fix
the frame in the accelerating trailer, we are no longer in an inertial frame and to use equations of static equilibrium we need to have inertial frame since we are basically going to use Newton's
laws.
Although I am not a big fan of pseudo (ficticious) forces (especially centrifugal force!), they nevertheless seem to work well in problems of these types. Since Newton 2 tells us that F_net = ma, then it follows that that F_net -ma = 0, where 'ma' is the pseudo force placed at the center of mass in the direction opposite the acceleration (pointing left in this example). (This is a special case of D'Alembert's principle). Then you use Newton's 1st laws of (dynamic) equilibrium (Fx_net =0, Fy_net =0, and Mz_net about any point =0) to solve the problem. Be sure in your free body diagram to label the pseudo force as such; it is a 'free body diagram with pseudo forces', not a 'free body diagram'. In general, though, try to avoid pseudo forces like the plague.

Hi Phanthom,

Pseudo forces can be confusing . I know that equivalence principle makes gravity into a pseudo force, and since general theory of gravity (GTR) is more accurate theory of the gravity, it means gravity indeed is a fictitious force. But in basic physics course it can be confusing. May be I am wrong. It is possible that the introductory physics can be taught with the understanding of the equivalence principle. That will be an interesting approach Do you know any such book ?

IssacNewton said:
Hi Phanthom,

Pseudo forces can be confusing . I know that equivalence principle makes gravity into a pseudo force, and since general theory of gravity (GTR) is more accurate theory of the gravity, it means gravity indeed is a fictitious force. But in basic physics course it can be confusing. May be I am wrong. It is possible that the introductory physics can be taught with the understanding of the equivalence principle. That will be an interesting approach Do you know any such book ?
I don't, but personally, i think it would be a bad idea...in fact, a very bad idea. But then again, I'm old school.:wink:

Phanthom, why is it a bad idea ? I want to know. For pedagogical reasons or other reasons ?

It's a bad idea from my perspective, because it borders on general relativity concepts, like Einstein's man in the box in a zero g environment being pulled up by a rope from afar. While it is very interesting reading, it doesn't belong in an intro physics class, where students are struggling with F = ma and W = mg. Introducing this equivalence principle is bound to confuse the student even more, just like pseudo forces...this topic belongs in an advanced physics course, or GR course, not an intro one...that's my thought anyway, others may think otherwise.

1. What is static equilibrium?

Static equilibrium is a state in which an object is at rest and all forces acting on it are balanced, resulting in no acceleration.

2. How do you determine if an object is in static equilibrium?

To determine if an object is in static equilibrium, you must analyze the forces acting on the object and check if they are balanced. This can be done by calculating the net force and torque on the object and ensuring they both equal zero.

3. What are the conditions for static equilibrium?

The conditions for static equilibrium are that the net force and net torque on an object must both equal zero. This means that all forces acting on the object must be balanced and there must be no rotational motion.

4. What is the difference between static and dynamic equilibrium?

Static equilibrium refers to a state of balance in which an object is at rest, while dynamic equilibrium refers to a state of balance in which an object is moving at a constant velocity. In static equilibrium, the net force and net torque are both equal to zero, while in dynamic equilibrium, the net force is equal to zero but the object may still be moving.

5. How is static equilibrium used in real-world applications?

Static equilibrium is used in many real-world applications, such as building structures, bridges, and machines. By analyzing the forces acting on these objects, engineers can ensure that they are in a state of balance and will not collapse or fail under the weight or forces acting on them.