Problem on Inverse Laplace with Unit Step

In summary, the conversation is discussing finding the inverse Laplace transformation of the equation (t-3)u2(t) - (t-2)u3(t). The speaker explains their process of drawing out the unit step graph and using Laplace transformations to solve, but expresses uncertainty about the correctness of their solution. They also clarify that they are actually trying to find the forward transform, not the inverse.
purduegrad
I have the equation (t-3)u2(t) - (t-2)u3(t) and they want the inverse laplace transformation of this. So basicially I drew out the unit step graph. And i had 0<t<2 --->0; 2<t<3 ---> t-3 and t>3 ----> -1. So then I just did wrote out the laplace transformations and I got

(s-3)[(-e^-3s)/s + (e^-2s)/s] - (e^-3s)/s

There is the part where I'm stuck at...I'm not sure if I am right regarding this part, but some assistance is definitely needed. Thanks guys!

Jason :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand your notation. What are u2 and u3?

Also, you said they are asking for the inverse Laplace transform when you're starting in the time domain. Since you're ending up in the s-domain I assume you meant the forward transform.

Hi Jason,

Based on your explanation, it seems like you have the correct approach for finding the inverse Laplace transformation of (t-3)u2(t) - (t-2)u3(t). As you mentioned, you first need to determine the Laplace transformation of each piece of the unit step function.

For 0<t<2, the Laplace transformation is 0. For 2<t<3, the Laplace transformation is (t-3)/s. And for t>3, the Laplace transformation is -1/s.

Next, you can use the linearity property of the Laplace transformation to combine these individual transformations. So your final inverse Laplace transformation will be:

L^-1[(t-3)u2(t) - (t-2)u3(t)] = L^-1[0 + (t-3)/s - 1/s] = L^-1[(t-2)/s - 1/s] = L^-1[(t-3)/s] = e^3t

I hope this helps clarify things for you. Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck!

FAQ: Problem on Inverse Laplace with Unit Step

1. What is the Inverse Laplace Transform with Unit Step?

The Inverse Laplace Transform with Unit Step is a mathematical operation that converts a function in the Laplace domain to its original form in the time domain. It is used to solve problems involving systems with a unit step function, which represents a sudden change or discontinuity in a system.

2. How do you solve a Problem on Inverse Laplace with Unit Step?

To solve a Problem on Inverse Laplace with Unit Step, you first need to find the Laplace Transform of the given function. Then, you need to use the properties of Laplace Transform to simplify the equation. Finally, you can use the table of Laplace Transforms to find the inverse Laplace Transform and obtain the solution in the time domain.

3. What are the properties of Inverse Laplace Transform with Unit Step?

The properties of Inverse Laplace Transform with Unit Step include linearity, time shifting, time scaling, damping, differentiation, integration, and convolution. These properties help in simplifying the equation and finding the inverse Laplace Transform efficiently.

4. What is the importance of Inverse Laplace Transform with Unit Step in science?

The Inverse Laplace Transform with Unit Step is important in science as it helps in solving problems related to systems with sudden changes. It is widely used in electrical engineering, control systems, signal processing, and other fields of science and engineering to understand and analyze the behavior of dynamic systems.

5. What are some common applications of Inverse Laplace Transform with Unit Step?

The Inverse Laplace Transform with Unit Step has various applications in science and engineering, such as circuit analysis, control systems, signal processing, heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and many more. It is also used in solving differential equations and modeling complex systems in various fields of science.