What is the cause of the pull on the charged metal plate?

• Thread starter sphyics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area
In summary, the problem involves a circular metal plate with a radius of 10cm and a charge of 20 microCoulomb. To determine the outward pull on the plate, the equation F= [sigma ^2]A / 2 epsilon* K is used, with \sigma = Q/A, where A is the area of the plate and Q is the charge. The area of the plate can be found using the equation pi * r^2, with consideration of the fact that the plate has two surfaces. To experience a pull, the plate must be situated in or experience an electric field.
sphyics
1. A circular metal plate of radius 10cm is given a charge of 20 microCoulomb. Determine the outward pull on the plate, k=1

i can solve the problem by using the equation F= [sigma ^2]A / 2 epsilon* K and finding [tex]\sigma[/tex] = Q/A {where A= area of surface(plate), Q = charge}

My problem:
to find area of plate i used the equation pi *r^2; or do i need to consider 2[tex]\pi[/tex]r^2 as plate have two surfaces.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
sphyics said:
1. A circular metal plate of radius 10cm is given a charge of 20 microCoulomb. Determine the outward pull on the plate, k=1

i can solve the problem by using the equation F= [sigma ^2]A / 2 epsilon* K and finding [tex]\sigma[/tex] = Q/A {where A= area of surface(plate), Q = charge}

My problem:
to find area of plate i used the equation pi *r^2; or do i need to consider 2[tex]\pi[/tex]r^2 as plate have two surfaces.

I want to help you, but I'm stuck as to understand why there is a pull on the plate. Is it situated in an electric field?

fluidistic said:
I want to help you, but I'm stuck as to understand why there is a pull on the plate. Is it situated in an electric field?

i havn't thought that way, ofcourse what i feel is u r right :) inoder to experience a pull there must be presence of electric field, i.e it must be placed in an electric field. or it must experience an electric field. like if the part under consideration is a part of larger conductor and the charges are spread uniformly, throught the larger one, then smaller part of that conductor will experience a force.

1. What is the difference between area and perimeter?

Area refers to the measure of the surface inside a closed shape, while perimeter is the distance around the outside of a shape.

2. How do you calculate the area of a rectangle?

To calculate the area of a rectangle, you multiply the length by the width. The formula is A = l x w, where A is the area, l is the length, and w is the width.

3. What is the formula for finding the area of a triangle?

The formula for finding the area of a triangle is A = 1/2 x b x h, where A is the area, b is the base, and h is the height.

4. Can the area of a shape change?

Yes, the area of a shape can change if the dimensions of the shape change. For example, if you double the length and width of a rectangle, the area will quadruple.

5. How is the area of a circle calculated?

The area of a circle is calculated by multiplying pi (π) by the radius squared. The formula is A = πr^2, where A is the area and r is the radius.