1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem regarding periodic current functions

1. Jun 12, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Three periodic currents have the same ##f=100 Hz##. The amplitude of the second current is ##4 A##. and is equal to half of the amplitude of the third current. Effective value of the third current is 5 times that of the first current. At time ##t_1=2ms## third current increases and changes signs. The first current reached it's amplitude half a period after the second current and the second current is "ahead" in phase to third current by ##\frac{2 \pi}{3}##. Write the functions for the current intensities of the currents.

2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution

My course of alternating currents has just started and this is my first problem in the book.
    What i know:
    ##f = 100 Hz##
    ##Im_1 = 4A##, the amplitude denoted by ##Im##
    ##Im_3 = 8A##
    ##\frac{Im_3}{\sqrt 2} = 5*\frac{Im_1}{\sqrt 2} \Rightarrow Im_1 = \frac{8}{5} A##
    ##t_1 = 2ms##, moment when ##i_3## changes sign and start to increase.
    Looking for: ##i_1(t)=?, i_2(t)=?, i_3(t)=?##

The work:
    The phase of the current ##i_3## is ##wt+ψ_3##. If at time ##t_1## the current changes sign than at that time the phase must be ##\frac{3\pi}{2}## since the canonical function of the current deals with a cosine function and the cosine increases at that point.
    ##wt_1+Ψ_3=\frac{3\pi}{2}##
    ##2\pi *100*2+Ψ_3=\frac{3\pi}{2}##
    ##ψ_3 = \frac{11\pi}{10}##
    This is where i disagree with the book. It says it should be ##ψ_3 = -\frac{9}{10} \pi##
    That answer i could obtain by subtracting ##2\pi## from my result but i understand the reason for such a thing. What is wrong here?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2017 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It must be a misprint: the time is 2 ms. ##2\pi *100*0.002+Ψ_3=\frac{3\pi}{2}##
    Nothing is wrong. cos(θ+2π)=cos(θ). Sometimes the phase constant is required between -pi and pi. Look in your notes.

4. Jun 13, 2017 #3
    It doesn't state it specifically but i guess that's how they want it.
    I continued solving the problem and i found the phase of the second current with the fact that:
    ##ψ_2-ψ_3 = \frac{2}{3}\pi \Rightarrow ψ_2 = -\frac{7}{30}\pi##
    The phase of the first current was a bit of a problem. I knew only that the first current reaches it's amplitude half the period after the second and i didn't know how to use that. I helped myself with the book solution and was wondering if you could help me understand it. It goes:
    ##wt_2 + ψ_2 = 0##, i think this means that at time ##t_2## the second current reaches it's amplitude as the cosine is 0.
    ##wt_1+ψ_1 = 0##
    ##t_1 = t_2 + T/2##, the time ##t_1## is half a period later
    ##wt_2 + \frac{wT}{2} = 0##, i dont fully understand this part. Shouldn't this be ##wt_1##? And if so how can it be 0 when it's missing ##ψ_1## term?
    It continued
    ##ψ_1 - ψ_2 + \frac{wT}{2}= 0##, so ##wt_2 = ψ_1 - ψ_2##? Why is this so?
    ##ψ_1 - ψ_2 = \pi \Rightarrow ψ_1 = \frac{23}{30} \pi##
    These are the correct results but i don't understand the reasoning behind the first current's calculations.

5. Jun 13, 2017 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There can be misprints and errors in any book. You are right. ##t_1 = t_2 + T/2##, substitute it into the equation
    ##wt_1+ψ_1 = 0## --> ##wt_2+wT/2+ψ_1= 0##.
    You know that ##wt_2 + ψ_2 = 0##, that is, ##wt_2 = - ψ_2 ##, so
    ##ψ_1- ψ_2+wT/2=0##, and wT/2=pi.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted