Problem solving equation system

In summary, the student was unable to solve the equation system, and was looking for help. They attempted substitution, came up with an equation of one variable, and were then unable to find the distance to the origin.
Taturana

Homework Statement

Solve this equation system for x, y and lambda.

[tex]\left\{\begin{matrix}
2x = \lambda (2x-6y)\\
2y = \lambda(-6x-14y)\\
x^2-6xy-7y^2+80=0
\end{matrix}\right.[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I really tried A LOT of things, but I can't solve it. I think it is not helpful to post here all the arithmetic ways I tried.

Thank you for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you just explain what you've tried so far?

rcgldr said:
Can you just explain what you've tried so far?

Thank you for your response, rcgldr.

I have tried simple substitution. Tried to come up with one equation of one variable from substituting, summing and manipulating the system's equations. But I could not get an equation of one variable, at least with the substitutions I tried.

I don't know if this helps, but the real problem is to find the distance from the curve to the origin. The curve is the last equation in the system. So I'm using Lagrange where the distance equation if the f(x,y) and the curve equation is the g(x,y). This system came up from gradient(x^2 + y^2) = Lambda * gradient(x^2 - 6xy -7y^2 + 80).

Isolate y from the first equation and substitute into the second. What do you get?

ehild

Taturana said:

Homework Statement

Solve this equation system for x, y and lambda.

[tex]\left\{\begin{matrix}
2x = \lambda (2x-6y)\\
2y = \lambda(-6x-14y)\\
x^2-6xy-7y^2+80=0
\end{matrix}\right.[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I really tried A LOT of things, but I can't solve it. I think it is not helpful to post here all the arithmetic ways I tried.

Thank you for the help!

You can solve the first equation for x in terms of y and λ (although not for some, special values of λ---they would need separate treatment). Substituting that into the second equation gives you an equation of the form y*A(λ) = 0, so either y = 0 or A(λ) = 0.

RGV

1. What is a problem solving equation system?

A problem solving equation system is a set of equations that are used to find the values of multiple variables. These equations are often used in mathematics and science to model real-world situations and find solutions.

2. How do you solve a problem solving equation system?

To solve a problem solving equation system, you need to use algebraic methods to manipulate the equations and isolate the variables. This can involve combining equations, substituting variables, and solving for one variable at a time until all variables have been found.

3. What are the different types of problem solving equation systems?

There are several different types of problem solving equation systems, including linear equations, quadratic equations, and systems of equations with multiple variables. Each type may require different methods to solve.

4. Why is problem solving equation system important in science?

Problem solving equation system is important in science because it allows us to model and understand complex systems and phenomena. By solving these equations, we can make predictions, analyze data, and test hypotheses.

5. What are some tips for solving problem solving equation systems?

Some tips for solving problem solving equation systems include: identifying the type of equations you are dealing with, using substitution or elimination to isolate variables, checking your solutions by plugging them back into the original equations, and practicing with a variety of problems to improve your skills.