Problem solving with hyperbolic functions

Mod note: Because his caps-lock key is stuck, it's OK for this post to be in all caps.
FIRSTLY, MY LAPTOP'S CAPS LOCK IS BEHAVING REALLY WEIRD AND I HAVE NO CONTROL ON IT WHATSOEVER. SO SORRY FOR POSTING IN ALL CAPS/ALL SMALL LETTERS

I HAVE RECENTLY LEARNED HYPERBOLIC FUNCTIONS. HOWEVER, I AM CURIOUS TO KNOW WHETHER I CAN USE IT TO solve problems of other topics AS WELL? IF YES, CAN SOMEONE FIND ME A TUTORIAL THAT SHOWS POSSIBLE CLEVER USES OF THIS IN SOLVING PROBLEMS? THERE IS A BUNCH OF TUTORIAL BUT MOST OF THOSE DEALS WITH THEORY OF HYPERBOLIC TRIG FUNCTION.
THANKS IN ADVANCE

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

FIRSTLY, MY LAPTOP'S CAPS LOCK IS BEHAVING REALLY WEIRD AND I HAVE NO CONTROL ON IT WHATSOEVER. SO SORRY FOR POSTING IN ALL CAPS/ALL SMALL LETTERS

I HAVE RECENTLY LEARNED HYPERBOLIC FUNCTIONS. HOWEVER, I AM CURIOUS TO KNOW WHETHER I CAN USE IT TO solve problems of other topics AS WELL? IF YES, CAN SOMEONE FIND ME A TUTORIAL THAT SHOWS POSSIBLE CLEVER USES OF THIS IN SOLVING PROBLEMS? THERE IS A BUNCH OF TUTORIAL BUT MOST OF THOSE DEALS WITH THEORY OF HYPERBOLIC TRIG FUNCTION.
THANKS IN ADVANCE
When most people talk about hyperbolic functions, they are really talking about the hyperbolic trig functions, such as sinh() (hyperbolic sine), cosh() (hyperbolic cosine), etc.

Otherwise, I'm not sure I understand what you're asking -- if it's really about the equations of hyperbolas, such as ##\frac{x^2}{a^2} - \frac{y^2}{b^2} = 1##, for example.

It would also be helpful to know what you mean by "solving problems". In a more general form, we are talking about conic sections. These appear in various mathematical contexts and also in physics, as they describe surfaces defined by quadratic polynomials, like an electromagnetic potential. I don't know of anything like "What can I do with quadratic functions". They simply appear sometimes and are in itself a field that can be studied.

StoneTemplePython
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
Hyperbolic tangent (tanh) is one of the classic nonlinear transform functions used in neural nets and deep learning. Frequently people use piecewise linear functions instead, but I think tanh is still used -- in recurrent nets as I recall.

Not sure if this is what OP is getting at though