Problem Solving: No Idea Where to Start? Hints Here

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem that involves two lines and finding the distance from the origin to a point, but there is confusion about the given information and what is being asked. The purpose of the problem is questioned and it is suggested that the solution may be correct, but there is uncertainty about the assumptions being made.
Yazan975
View attachment 8417

No idea where to start.
Any hints?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-17 at 9.02.16 PM-min.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-17 at 9.02.16 PM-min.png
    30.7 KB · Views: 62
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yazan975 said:
No idea where to start.
WHY were you given the problem then?

Did you miss math classes?

Wilmer said:
WHY were you given the problem then?

Did you miss math classes?

It is supposed to test us

Yazan975 said:
It is supposed to test us
I had a look at your 1st post; you do not seem ready for this...

Perhaps the purpose is to test whether you can recognize non-sense when you see it! The problem refers to two lines, $l_1$ and $l_2$, tells us that $l_1$ is given by px+ py+ r= 0 but nothing at all is said about $l_2$. And the problem asks for the distance from the origin to point M but what in the world is M?

Are we to assume that $l_2$ is the line through the origin perpendicular to $l_2$ and M is the point or intersection? In that case the given solution is correct but why aren't we told that?

What is problem solving?

Problem solving is the process of finding a solution to a specific problem or issue. It involves identifying the problem, gathering information, analyzing potential solutions, and implementing the best course of action.

Why is problem solving important?

Problem solving is important because it allows us to overcome challenges and obstacles in both personal and professional contexts. It also helps to improve critical thinking skills and can lead to more efficient and effective decision making.

What are some common strategies for problem solving?

Some common strategies for problem solving include brainstorming, breaking the problem down into smaller parts, considering alternative solutions, and seeking outside perspectives from others.

How can I improve my problem solving skills?

To improve your problem solving skills, you can practice regularly by seeking out and solving different types of problems. You can also try to approach problems from different angles and actively seek feedback from others to learn from your mistakes.

What should I do if I have no idea where to start with a problem?

If you have no idea where to start with a problem, try to gather as much information as possible and break the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts. You can also seek help from others or try different problem-solving techniques until you find one that works for you.