• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Problem with a simple Stoke's Theorem question

• Thread starter Moham1287
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Using Stoke's Theorem, evaluate the contour integral:
[tex]\oint F.dr[/tex]
as an integral over an appropriately chosen 2 dimensional surface.

Use F = [tex](e^{x}y+cos\siny,e^{x}+sinx\cosy,ycosz)[/tex] and take the contour C to be the boundary of the rectangle with the vertices (0,0,0), (A,0,0), (A,B,0), (0,B,0) oriented anticlockwise.

Then evaluate the same integral directly as a contour integral.

Homework Equations

Stoke's Theorem,

[tex]\int\int_{S}(curl F).n\;d^{2}A=\oint F.dr[/tex]
where n is unit normal vector.

The Attempt at a Solution

I got Curl F to be (cos z)i by the standard method using a matrix. I set n as -k as the surface is in the xy plane so the normal vector is along the z direction and I got the negative by the right hand rule.

This gives:

[tex]\int^{0}_{A}dx\int^{0}_{B}(-1)k.(cosz)i\dy[/tex]

(-k).(cos z)i is 0

which makes the double integral nothing

However when I solve the same thing directly as a contour integral I get an answer of -B.

Going anti clockwise from the origin, (so from (0,0,0) to (A,0,0) is I, (A,0,0) to (A,B,0) is II, (A,B,0) to (0,B,0) is III and (0,B,0) to (0,0,0) is IV) I get:
I=0
II=[tex]e^{A}B + sinA\;sinB[/tex]
III=[tex]-(e^{A}B+sinA\;sinB)[/tex]
IV=[tex]-B[/tex]

Which, when added together, gives -B.... I think there must be a glaring error somewhere. I can write up my calculations for the contour integral if that would help solve it... Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Answers and Replies

gabbagabbahey
Homework Helper
Gold Member
This gives:

[tex]\int^{0}_{A}dx\int^{0}_{B}(-1)k.(cosz)i\dy[/tex]

(-k).(cos z)i is 0

which makes the double integral nothing
Technically, the normal to the surface should be +k as given by the right-hand rule when your path is anticlockwise. Luckily, it didn't affect your answer in this case as -1*0 is still zero..

However when I solve the same thing directly as a contour integral I get an answer of -B.

Going anti clockwise from the origin, (so from (0,0,0) to (A,0,0) is I, (A,0,0) to (A,B,0) is II, (A,B,0) to (0,B,0) is III and (0,B,0) to (0,0,0) is IV) I get:
I=0
II=[tex]e^{A}B + sinA\;sinB[/tex]
III=[tex]-(e^{A}B+sinA\;sinB)[/tex]
IV=[tex]-B[/tex]
Your error is in integral III; recheck that calculation and post your work for it if you can't find the error.

I got it! Thanks a lot. Ha, I somehow messed up with the right hand rule, which is pretty basic, but that wasn't the problem. I just made a copying error and forgot about one of the [tex]e^{0}B[/tex] which should have become B, not nothing. Thanks a lot!