Finding the Density Function for a Randomly Divided Rod

In summary, a user is seeking help with a probability theory problem involving dividing a rod into two parts and finding the density function of a random variable X, which is the longer part divided by the smaller part. After some discussion, it is determined that X does have a well-defined density function, and the user is given a helpful hint to solve the problem.
trenekas
Hello. I have problem with one task of probability theory. Hope that someone will be able to help me!

The task:

The rod is dividing in two parts accidentally. (Division is evenly distributed, don't know if its good saying in english). Find the density function of random variable X which is equal to longer part of rod divided by smaller part of rod.

So X can get infinity values i think. The smaller is 1, when rod is divided 0.5/0.5=1. And coming up to infinity when smaller part of rod coming up to 0. for example 0.99/0.01=99... and so on.

I don't know but i think that density function of this X does not exist. Or I am wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the shorter length is y, the longer length is 1- y so the function is X= y/(1- y). Further, you seem to be saying that "y" is equally likely to be any number between 0 and 1/2.

It's often clearer conceptually to deal with the CDF and deduce the pdf later. HoI has given you the formula for X, so you want F(x) = P[X < x] = P[Y/(1-Y) < x]. Can you proceed from there?

HallsofIvy said:
If the shorter length is y, the longer length is 1- y so the function is X= y/(1- y). Further, you seem to be saying that "y" is equally likely to be any number between 0 and 1/2.
I think the task ask to do not the same as you say. I think we need 1-y/y... where 1-y is equal to longer part and y shorter...If i need dividing shorter from longer it much easier. or i don't understand you?
Maybe my opinion that this function does not exist is true?

trenekas said:
Hello. I have problem with one task of probability theory. Hope that someone will be able to help me!

The task:

The rod is dividing in two parts accidentally. (Division is evenly distributed, don't know if its good saying in english). Find the density function of random variable X which is equal to longer part of rod divided by smaller part of rod.

So X can get infinity values i think. The smaller is 1, when rod is divided 0.5/0.5=1. And coming up to infinity when smaller part of rod coming up to 0. for example 0.99/0.01=99... and so on.

I don't know but i think that density function of this X does not exist. Or I am wrong?

The parts (u,1-u) have zero probability for u = 0 or u = 1 because the endpoints of the interval [0,1] have zero probability for a continuous distribution. Therefore, we are (with probability 1) never dividing by zero, so a value X = ∞ has probability 0. We can even change to the open interval u ε (0,1), and so division by zero never happens---not even with probability zero. So, X does have a well-defined density function. Having X unbounded above is not a problem---lots of random variables are unbounded above, below, or both, and we deal with them with no problem. Of course, there is the issue of whether or not X has finite mean and/or variance, etc, but that is a separate question from the existence of a density for X.

Last edited:
ok understand.

But can't invent what this function shuold be. Maybe some hints? I thought more than an hour and have no idea.

Did you understand what I suggested? Let Y be the r.v. representing the distance from the nearer end. Y is uniformly distributed on [0, 0.5]. The CDF of X is F(x) = P[X < x] = P[(1-Y)/Y < x]. Can you evaluate that?

thank you haruspex. your hint was very helpfull. :smile:

What is a density function?

A density function, also known as a probability density function, is a mathematical function that describes the relative likelihood of a random variable taking on a certain value. It is used in statistics and probability to model and analyze continuous data.

How is a density function different from a probability distribution?

A density function describes the probability of a continuous random variable, while a probability distribution describes the probability of a discrete random variable. In other words, a density function gives the probability of a range of values, while a probability distribution gives the probability of specific values.

What are some common types of density functions?

Some common types of density functions include the normal distribution, uniform distribution, and exponential distribution. The type of density function used depends on the nature of the data being analyzed and the underlying assumptions about the data.

What are some common uses of density functions?

Density functions are commonly used in statistics and data analysis to model and analyze continuous data. They can also be used to calculate probabilities and make predictions about future events based on past data.

How is a density function calculated?

The specific method for calculating a density function depends on the type of distribution being used. In general, a density function is calculated by finding the area under the curve of the function. This can be done using integration or statistical software programs.