1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem with doppler formula

1. Feb 27, 2006 #1
    Can i use the doppler formula ( i.e f = f(0){(v(+/-)v(0))/(v(+/-)v(s))}) when the source is accelerated taking v as the speed of sound in air v(o) the speed of the observer and v(s) the speed of source at the time the sound wave is generated . I tried deriving this formula but came across some really difficult mathematics in case of an accelerated source ..... would be really thankful if someone can derive that formula for an accelerated source or atleast tell whether its applicable or not (in case of an accelerated source ).

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2006 #2

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, the acceleration doesn't affect that formula.

4. Feb 28, 2006 #3
    can you prove that ?

5. Feb 28, 2006 #4

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Underlying that doppler formula is an analysis of the time-intervals between successive wavefronts... transmitted by the source and received by the receiver. When the relative velocity is not constant, the formula almost certainly does not strictly apply... but may approximately apply in an appropriate limit.

6. Feb 28, 2006 #5
    Under what all conditions will it apply ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?