Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem with fitting simple quadratic function to 3 data points

1. Feb 27, 2009 #1
    Hello PF,

Ok so here is my problem. I have an array of data points which are the chi^2 values for a fit I have performed. I wish to calculate the 1-sigma error for this fit, so I figure I could find the lowest chi^2 value, and the two points either side that value, and fit a quadratic function to this. Then 'fill' this such that deltachi^2=1 and calculate the deviations either side. But this is somewhat irrelevant for now...

I have a complete mental block, and I'm really struggling to figure out how to fit a quadratic to these 3 data points. I'm editing a fortran-77 program to do this (which i'm not that familiar with) so would like to keep it as simple as possible. If my function is F(x)= a*x**2 + b*x + c, I already have c constrained to be my minimum value, however, I can't seem to figure out how to get these other co-efficients. I know there are methods such as Cramer's rule, however this would require significant changes to the program, which I would like to avoid. Can anyone think of an easier way to implement this?

Many thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2009 #2
    If you plug in each of your data points, you'll get three linear equations in three unknowns (a, b, c). Then it's just a bit of linear algebra.

4. Mar 17, 2009 #3
  5. Mar 20, 2009 #4

Gib Z

Homework Helper

I think thats what he was referring to by Cramer's Rule in his original post, he doesn't want to do that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook