Problem with linear differential equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of formatting commands and formulas such as $(dy/dx) + P(x)y=Q(x)$ and $e^{\int P(x) dx}$ to solve equations with an integrating factor. It also covers the process of isolating and integrating the dy/dx expression to obtain the final solution of x^2y=(3x^4/4)-(5x^3/3)+C.
stripedcat
Still learning the formatting commands, sorry!

I'm aware of the $(dy/dx) + P(x)y=Q(x)$ formula, as well as the $e^{\int P(x) dx}$ formula needed to get the "I" factor.

Here's the equation.

$$(dy/dx)+(2/x)y=3x-5$$

The "$P(x)$" would be $(2/x), \int 2/x\ dx = 2 \ln(x), e^{2 \ln(x)} = x^2$, so $x^2$ is the "I factor", and I know this gets multiplied by both sides
$$x^2((dy/dx)+(2/x)y=x^2(3x-5)$$

$3x^3+5x^2$ simplification on the right.

I'm not sure what to do with the left side. I know I need to get that dx out of there so it can go over to the right.

I think I need to start isolating the dy/dx expression...
$$x^2((dy/dx) = (3x^3+5x^2)-((2/x)y)$$
$$dy/dx = ((3x^3+5x^2)-((2/x)y))/x^2$$

This doesn't seem right at all.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
stripedcat said:
Still learning the formatting commands, sorry!

I'm aware of the $(dy/dx) + P(x)y=Q(x)$ formula, as well as the $e^{\int P(x) dx}$ formula needed to get the "I" factor.

Here's the equation.

$$(dy/dx)+(2/x)y=3x-5$$

The "$P(x)$" would be $(2/x), \int 2/x\ dx = 2 \ln(x), e^{2 \ln(x)} = x^2$, so $x^2$ is the "I factor", and I know this gets multiplied by both sides
$$x^2((dy/dx)+(2/x)y=x^2(3x-5)$$

$3x^3+5x^2$ simplification on the right.

I'm not sure what to do with the left side. I know I need to get that dx out of there so it can go over to the right.

I think I need to start isolating the dy/dx expression...
$$x^2((dy/dx) = (3x^3+5x^2)-((2/x)y)$$
$$dy/dx = ((3x^3+5x^2)-((2/x)y))/x^2$$

This doesn't seem right at all.
The x^2 is an integrating factor. So the left hand side is now in a form that you can write:
\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx} \left ( x^2 y \right ) = 2x y + x^2 \frac{dy}{dx}\)

Thus your original equation is now
\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx} \left ( x^2 y \right ) = x^2 (3x - 5)\)

How do you finish this?

-Dan

topsquark said:
The x^2 is an integrating factor. So the left hand side is now in a form that you can write:
\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx} \left ( x^2 y \right ) = 2x y + x^2 \frac{dy}{dx}\)

Thus your original equation is now
\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx} \left ( x^2 y \right ) = x^2 (3x - 5)\)

How do you finish this?

-Dan

Yes, I was just looking at this. I didn't know about making it into d/dx and yanking the y out to multiply by the I factor. Give me a minute and I will edit this post with what I come up with.

EDIT: And here's what I came up with

Integrate both sides will cancel the d/dx.

\(\displaystyle x^2y=\int 3x^3-5x^2\)

I don't know the command for 'something over something', I was guessing on the integral symbol

\(\displaystyle x^2y=(3x^4/4)-(5x^3/3)+C\)

How's that?

EDIT: Yes I know, it keeps going after that in order to get just the y

Last edited:
\frac{}{} gives the fraction template. You type whatever you want in the numerator in the first set of curly brackets, and whatever you want in the denominator in the second set of curly brackets.

stripedcat said:
Yes, I was just looking at this. I didn't know about making it into d/dx and yanking the y out to multiply by the I factor. Give me a minute and I will edit this post with what I come up with.

EDIT: And here's what I came up with

Integrate both sides will cancel the d/dx.

\(\displaystyle x^2y=\int 3x^3-5x^2\)

I don't know the command for 'something over something', I was guessing on the integral symbol

\(\displaystyle x^2y=(3x^4/4)-(5x^3/3)+C\)

How's that?

EDIT: Yes I know, it keeps going after that in order to get just the y
Looks good to me. :)

-Dan

Related to Problem with linear differential equation

1. What is a linear differential equation?

A linear differential equation is an equation that involves a dependent variable and its derivatives, along with a constant coefficient. The derivative is taken with respect to an independent variable. The equation must be of the form an(x)y(n) + an-1(x)y(n-1) + ... + a0(x)y = g(x), where an(x) are the coefficients, y(n) is the nth derivative of y, and g(x) is a function of x.

2. What is the order of a linear differential equation?

The order of a linear differential equation is the highest derivative present in the equation. For example, the equation y'' + 3xy' + 2y = 0 has an order of 2.

3. How do you solve a problem with a linear differential equation?

To solve a linear differential equation, you must first determine the order of the equation and then use appropriate methods such as separation of variables, substitution, or integrating factors to solve for the dependent variable. The solution may also involve initial conditions, which must be provided in the problem.

4. What are initial conditions in a linear differential equation?

Initial conditions are the values of the dependent variable and its derivatives at a specific point in the domain of the equation. These conditions are used to find the particular solution to the equation, which satisfies both the equation and the initial conditions.

5. How are linear differential equations used in science?

Linear differential equations are used in various fields of science, including physics, engineering, and biology, to model natural phenomena and make predictions. They are also used in data analysis to find relationships between variables and make predictions based on the data. In addition, many scientific laws and principles can be expressed in the form of linear differential equations.