Why do stars exhibit red shift and blue shift in our universe?

• Thread starter shaan_aragorn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary: According to Hubble's law, the more distant an object is, the faster it will be moving away from us. Even though the universe is expanding, the rate of expansion is not uniform. In summary, Stephen Hawking says that the gravitational force is not zero, and if the universe is finite, the astronomical bodies would fall on one point.
shaan_aragorn
In his book "The Brief History Of Time", Stephen Hawking says that if the universe is finite, as assumed by Newton et al, the astronomical bodies would fall on one point. Now I am having a really tough time imagining this. Wouldnt the gravitational force be too weak to pull these bodies on one point over such enormous distances?

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
No. In order for that to be correct, the gravitational pull would have to be exactly zero. Otherwise, with any net pull, regardless of how small, the matter in the universe would eventually fall to the center of mass. The strength of the pull just determines how long it takes.

The key is that if the universe started static and had a center, every object would have some net force pulling it toward that center. It wouldn't stay static for long.

That's not true. It could rotate, the way the planets in the solar system do. Those aren't going to fall into the sun, and they're not expanding their orbit either.

pi-r8 said:
That's not true. It could rotate, the way the planets in the solar system do. Those aren't going to fall into the sun, and they're not expanding their orbit either.

Are you postulating that the universe itself is rotating?

The reason our planets orbit the sun without being 'pulled' towards it, is because the sun's mass is relatively static which means it's gravitational pull on our solar system is also relatively static.

Last edited:
pi-r8 said:
How can a universe rotate and still be considered static? Can a universe, by definition, even be rotating?

Also, merely rotating wouldn't be enough: that implies a constant angular momentum, and with a constant angular momentum, you only get an orbit at one specific radius - every object further away spirals out and every object closer in spirals into the center. Or maybe some just end up in highly elipitcal orbits - my celestial mechanics isn't that great. Either way, it's tough to call that situation "static".

Last edited:
Is this situation analogous to two magnets (or charges/poles) kept in vacuum with zero gravity (for cutting out external effects)? Will such two magnets also attract each other (assuming they are of opposite polarities) over an infinite distance?

I was simply objecting to the notion that "if the universe is finite, it must fall on one point." I never said anything about it being static. I'm also not actually postulating that it is actually rotating (as in, ever object is rotating around a common center of mass), I simply wanted to point out that such a situation is possible.

pi-r8 said:
I was simply objecting to the notion that "if the universe is finite, it must fall on one point." I never said anything about it being static.
Hmm - rereading the OP, I think we'll need to clarify what Hawking was talking about. I assumed he also meant static. The question seems to be asking why the universe couldn't be static.

Last edited:
Hawking proposed the universe is finite, but unbounded, in his book. He never intended to infer the universe is finite in the sense of having definable boundaries [or a center].

The universe is isotropic and homogenous. The universe, when viewed on sufficiently large distance scales, has no preferred directions or preferred places. Stars exhibit red shift and blue shift when observed from the Earth but a majority of them exhibit red shift, indicating that the stars are moving away. This observation will be true from any region of the universe.

Last edited:

1. What is the "Problem with my universe"?

The "Problem with my universe" is a hypothetical concept that refers to any issue, limitation, or contradiction within our understanding of the universe and its laws.

2. What are some examples of "Problem with my universe"?

Some examples of "Problem with my universe" include the existence of dark matter and dark energy, the unification of general relativity and quantum mechanics, and the origin of the universe itself.

3. How do scientists approach the "Problem with my universe"?

Scientists approach the "Problem with my universe" by using the scientific method, which involves making observations, formulating hypotheses, conducting experiments, and analyzing data to gain a better understanding of the universe.

4. Can the "Problem with my universe" be solved?

It is difficult to say whether the "Problem with my universe" can be fully solved, as our understanding of the universe is constantly evolving and new questions and challenges arise. However, through continued research and collaboration, scientists are making progress towards solving some of the most complex problems of our universe.

5. How does the "Problem with my universe" impact our daily lives?

The "Problem with my universe" may not have an immediate impact on our daily lives, as these are often highly theoretical and complex concepts. However, advancements in understanding the universe can lead to new technologies and innovations that can improve our lives in various ways.