Problem with normalization wave function position/momentum space

It's the absolute value squared, so you need to take the complex conjugate and multiply by itself. Then integrate from 0 to p_0 to get the probability of measuring a state with momentum between 0 and p_0. In summary, we have a pure state of an electron at t=0 described by a wave function with a spatial and spinor component. The normalization for the spinor is 1/sqrt(2) and for the spatial part, we use the Fourier transform to obtain the momentum wave function. The probability of measuring a state with momentum p_0 and third component of spin -hbar/2 is given by the integral of the squared momentum wave function from 0 to p_0.
WarDieS

Homework Statement

We start with a pure state at t=0 of an electron is
[itex]C e^{- a^2 x^2} \left(\begin{array}{c}
1\\
i
\end{array}\right)[/itex]

Probability density of measuring momentun [itex]p_0[/itex] and third component of spin [itex]- \frac{\hbar}{2}[/itex]

And probability of measuring a state with momentum between 0 and [itex]p_0[/itex]

Homework Equations

Fourier Transform

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a wave function with the spatial and spinor (Z basis),i know the normalization for the spinor is [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex] and for the spatial part i just have to solve this
[itex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\psi^{*}\psi dx = 1[/itex]

Wich gives me
[itex] C = (\frac{2}{\pi})^{1/4} \sqrt{a} [/itex]

Now i have a spatial normalized wave function which is

[itex] \psi = (\frac{2}{\pi})^{1/4} \sqrt {a} e^{- a^2 x^2} [/itex]

Since the momentum is not well defined in the spatial basis i can't obtain the probability of measuring [itex]p_0[/itex] right away, i have to use the momentum basis wave function, so i must do a Fourier transform of the function like this

[itex] \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi \hbar}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\psi e^{\frac{-i p x}{\hbar}} dx = \frac{1}{\sqrt{a \hbar}} \frac{1}{(2 \pi)^{1/4}} e^-{\frac{p^2}{4 a^2 \hbar^2}}=\phi [/itex]

Now of the probability to obtain p0 [itex] <p_0|\phi> [/itex]

Wich i assume is the integral from p0 to p0 which is zero, and the probability between 0 and [itex] p_0[/itex] its the integral from 0 to [itex] p_0[/itex]

[itex] \int_{0}^{p_0} \phi p dp = \frac{2^{3/4} (a \hbar)^{3/2}}{\pi^{1/4}} (1-e^{\frac{-p_0^2}{4 a^2 \hbar^2}}) [/itex]

But this has to be wrong, because if i take [itex] p_0 = \infty [/itex] it must be equal to 1 which is not, what's wrong with the normalization ? or is something else ?

Thanks !

Physics news on Phys.org
The idea with the Fourier trnsform to get the momentum wave function is correct. Now just remember how to get the probability density (momentum distribution) from the momentum wave function.

1. What is normalization in the context of wave function in position/momentum space?

Normalization refers to the process of ensuring that the total probability of finding a particle in a certain region of space is equal to 1. In the context of wave function in position/momentum space, it means that the integral over all space of the squared magnitude of the wave function must equal 1.

2. Why is normalization important in quantum mechanics?

Normalization is important because it ensures that the probability of finding a particle in any region of space is well-defined and consistent with the principles of quantum mechanics. Without normalization, the wave function would not accurately represent the behavior of a particle and would not be physically meaningful.

3. How is normalization achieved in position/momentum space?

In position/momentum space, normalization is achieved by taking the Fourier transform of the wave function in position space and then squaring the magnitude of the resulting momentum space wave function. The integral of this squared magnitude over all momentum space must equal 1.

4. What happens if the wave function is not normalized?

If the wave function is not normalized, it means that the probability of finding a particle in any region of space is not well-defined. This can lead to incorrect predictions and violate the principles of quantum mechanics.

5. Can the wave function be normalized in both position and momentum space?

Yes, the wave function can be normalized in both position and momentum space. This is because the wave function represents the probability amplitude of finding a particle in a certain state, and this probability amplitude must be consistent in both position and momentum space for the wave function to accurately describe the behavior of a particle.