Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem with oscilloscope hindering interrupt input on CPU

1. Oct 31, 2007 #1
    I was trying to measure the delay time of an external interrupt by putting an oscilloscope probe on the input interrupt and a probe on an output pin. The interrupt is falling-edge triggered, so when i short the pin to ground, the interrupt is triggered. The pin has a 1M external pull up on the board, but I'm not sure what the pin's internal circuitry looks like, except that I'm assuming its like a high impedance buffer. The interrupt works fine by itself with no probe attached.

When the probe is attached to the interrupt pin and I short the interrupt pin to ground, the probe shows the voltage dropping from high to 0V; however, the interrupt is not triggered in software. Also, if I disconnect the probes ground and leave it floating, it will start to trigger the interrupt without myself even shorting the pin to ground. The probes impedance is very high, I think 10Mohm.

I made a schematic to show the problem. The schematic is really simple, and its how I understand whats going on. Maybe I'm missing something?

I know 1M is a high pull-up value and makes the pin more susceptable to noise, but I think the oscilloscope impedance is even much higher to this to where it still is not going to add on any loading to the pin.

I just am getting angry because I'm shorting the pin to ground so how could it see anything else but a logic-low voltage?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2007 #2
    ok i figured it out.

The 1M pull up and 10M scope acting like a voltage divider really does drop the voltage too low to (2.72V from a 3.3V high), to where the input pin is always seeing a low. I wsa just doing it in my head and estimated about a 2.8V and even then it is too low. I didn't realize the cpu needed to see a higher voltage as high.

4. Oct 31, 2007 #3

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

5. Nov 15, 2007 #4
    Analogkid83, why are u using such a high res(1M) pull up resistor?
    any particular reason?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?