Problems pertaining to centripetal force

In summary, a golf ball with a mass of 0.05 kg is tied to a massless string of length 0.28 m and makes one revolution every 2.1 seconds. The magnitude of the tension in the string can be calculated using the equation TSB = mv<sup>2</sup>/r + mg. The velocity can be found by dividing 2π times the length by the period of one rotation. Assuming the ball is sliding on a frictionless horizontal plane, the only net force acting on the ball is the centripetal force from the string. To find the speed of the ball when the string breaks, simply calculate the velocity using the given length and period without regard to direction.
Gigantron

Homework Statement

A golf ball with mass m = 0.05 kg is tied to a massless string of length L = 0.28 m. The ball is made to swing in a circle such that the string is horizontal throughout the motion. The ball makes one revolution every t = 2.1 s.

m = 0.05 kg
L = 0.28 m
t = 2.1 s

Homework Equations

Fnet = mv2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) What the magnitude of the tension in the string, Ft in Newtons, while it spins?

First, I made it so that one revolution would occur at the bottom of the circle which is created by the ball swinging, so that it would be a little easier mathematically.

I identified Fnet as the Tension of the string on the ball pulling upward (TSB) minus the weight of the Earth on the ball (WEB). The rearranged equation looks like this:

TSB - WEB = mv2/r

Then I rearranged it to look like this:

TSB = mv2/r + WEB

Since Weight = mg...

TSB = mv2/r + mg

With that, I plugged in my numbers:

TSB = (.05kg)v2/(.14m)+ (.05kg)(9.8 m/s2)

I got the radius by dividing the length by two...though I'm not sure if this is right. Plus, there doesn't seem to be any information about the velocity. How would I go about finding this? Would I use a = ΔV/t?

(b) The string breaks suddenly. How fast does the golf ball fly away, v in m/s?

What accounts for the string breaking? How do I know which direction the string is flying in? Would it matter in this case if the string was flying in a positive direction or a negative direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Gigantron said:
The ball is made to swing in a circle such that the string is horizontal throughout the motion.

First, I made it so that one revolution would occur at the bottom of the circle which is created by the ball swinging, so that it would be a little easier mathematically.

Read your problem statement again. Bottom of what circle? "The string is horizontal throughout the motion."

Plus, there doesn't seem to be any information about the velocity.
Sure there is. The problem statement tells you the length of the string and the period of one rotation. Assuming uniform circular motion, this gives you the velocity.

Assume the ball is sliding on a frictionless horizontal plane (otherwise, the string could not be truly horizontal). The only net force acting on the ball is the centripetal force from the string.

D H said:
Read your problem statement again. Bottom of what circle? "The string is horizontal throughout the motion."
But why would the problem say that it's going in a circle then? I'm really confused.
Sure there is. The problem statement tells you the length of the string and the period of one rotation. Assuming uniform circular motion, this gives you the velocity.

So would I need to do 2∏*(.28) / 2.1 seconds to get the velocity? If this is correct, then would I be able to plug it into the equation I set up for myself successfully?

rcgldr: Assume the ball is sliding on a frictionless horizontal plane (otherwise, the string could not be truly horizontal). The only net force acting on the ball is the centripetal force from the string.
So I should just scratch the "+ mg" I put in my equation if the only thing acting on the ball is the centripetal force from the string?

Gigantron said:
So I should just scratch the "+ mg" I put in my equation if the only thing acting on the ball is the centripetal force from the string?
Yes, the only net force acting on the ball is the centripetal force. (mg is opposed by the upwards force from the frictionless plane so there is no net vertical force).

Last edited:
So this is what I ended up doing:

TSB = (.05kg)(.837)2/(.14)

I got the velocity by doing 2∏*(.28m) / 2.1 seconds

I got an answer of .250N exactly...but apparently this is still wrong. What exactly am I not doing here?

What is the 0.14 in the denominator?

The length divided by two. I was trying to find the radius ._.

Gigantron said:
The length divided by two. I was trying to find the radius ._.
You can assume the entire length of the string is the radius.

Ah, that makes sense. I got .125N as a result and this appears to be the correct answer. Still, I'm not entirely sure about part B for this problem. Should I draw a free body diagram for that part?

Gigantron said:
Still, I'm not entirely sure about part B for this problem. Should I draw a free body diagram for that part?
Assume part B just wants to know the speed of the ball. without regard to direction.

Related to Problems pertaining to centripetal force

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It is directed towards the center of the circle and is responsible for changing the direction of the object's velocity.

2. How is centripetal force different from centrifugal force?

Centripetal force is a real force that acts on an object to keep it moving in a circular path, while centrifugal force is a fictitious force that appears to act on an object moving in a circular path, but is actually the result of the object's inertia.

3. What are some examples of centripetal force in daily life?

Some common examples of centripetal force include the tension in a string that keeps a ball moving in a circular motion, the gravitational force that keeps planets in orbit around the sun, and the force of friction that allows a car to make a turn without sliding off the road.

4. How is centripetal force related to centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal force and centripetal acceleration are directly related. The centripetal force acting on an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by the square of its velocity divided by the radius of the circular path. This force causes the object to accelerate towards the center of the circle.

5. What happens when there is no centripetal force acting on an object?

If there is no centripetal force acting on an object, it will either continue moving in a straight line at a constant speed or will move in a parabolic or elliptical path, depending on its initial velocity and the force of gravity. This is known as Newton's First Law of Motion.