Problems with calculating integrals

• Thread starter zee_22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary, the conversation discusses a question from a calculus online course involving an integral from 0 to t of x times the exponential function raised to the power of -x. The individual asks for help and suggests using substitution and rearrangement. Another question is posed about a specific method for calculating integrals like this. The conversation ends with suggestions for solving the integral, including using integration by parts, partial fractions decomposition, and substitution.
zee_22
:!) :rofl: This question simply says calculate
Question
[integral from 0 to t]xe^-xdx

this is one of the questions from my calculus online course there are no similar examples to this in the given notebookk
i have taken the first year calculus but forgot somestuff, this was 3 years ago, this is why i really need help!
Hints is fine as long of course they lead me to the solution.
This is what i thought i can do , rearrange the equation to somthing like x/e^x dx but now what if i use substitution say u= e^x then du= e^xdx
now the new limits would go like this whwen x= 0 then u= 1 and when the upper limit x=t then u=e^t i think so far so good, i hope someone can confirm the aligibility of this ??!
Then :
[integral from 0 to t]x/e^xdx
=[integral from 1 to e^t]x/u[1/e^x]du
now i don't know what to do:uhh: :uhh:

Another question:
is there a specific method for calculation integrals like this?
[integral from 2 to 3 ] 1/[x-1][x-4]dx
also [integral from 0 to 3] 1/([9-x^2]^1/2) dx
Last but not least is there a website anyoone suggests that has examples of such problems?Thank you for the help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For your first, use integration by parts.
For your second, use partial fractions decomposition.
For your third, use the substitution [tex]x=3\sin(u)[/tex]

Tabular also works for the first one, if you're familiar with this method. It uses by parts, but it's less time consuming.

x/e^x= xe^(-x) doesn't it? Looks like a good candidate for integration by parts.

What are integrals and why are they important in science?

Integrals are mathematical tools used to calculate the total area under a curve. They are important in science because they allow us to solve a wide range of problems involving continuous variables, such as finding the distance traveled by an object or the total amount of energy in a system.

What are the common challenges or errors when calculating integrals?

Some common challenges when calculating integrals include choosing the correct integration method, dealing with complex or improper integrals, and making mistakes in the algebraic manipulation of the integrand. It's important to carefully check your work and use proper notation to avoid errors.

How can I improve my skills in calculating integrals?

Practice is key when it comes to improving your skills in calculating integrals. Start with simple integrals and work your way up to more complex ones. It's also helpful to understand the basic rules and properties of integration, such as the power rule and the substitution rule.

What resources can I use to help me with calculating integrals?

There are many resources available to help with calculating integrals, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems with step-by-step solutions. You can also seek help from a math tutor or consult with a colleague or professor for guidance.

What are some real-world applications of integrals?

Integrals have numerous real-world applications in science, engineering, economics, and other fields. Some examples include calculating the volume of a 3D shape, finding the average value of a function, and determining the total amount of work done by a force over a distance. They are also used in physics to calculate important quantities such as momentum, force, and energy.