Is Capitalism the Root of Inequality?

• Thread starter Czcibor
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of income inequality and its impact on the poor. The question is raised of how much inequality is acceptable if it benefits the poor. The conversation also touches on other factors that contribute to inequality, such as globalization and the dysfunction of the political system. One viewpoint argues that inequality is not the main issue and instead, we should focus on addressing underlying problems such as education and taxation. However, others argue that poverty and inequality are closely linked and that the concentration of power in the hands of the wealthy is a major issue. The conversation also raises the issue of economic mobility and its role in addressing inequality. Ultimately, the conversation highlights the complexity of the issue and the need for a comprehensive approach to addressing inequality and improving
jim hardy said:
On the other hand, a very thoughtful workingman observed

“The passion for equality is partly a passion for anonymity: to be one thread of the many which make up a tunic; one thread not distinguishable from the others. No one can then point us out, measure us against others and expose our inferiority.”
Eric Hoffer

Do you resent successful people?
I think it is only fair to ask you: do you automatically approve of anyone who is successful?

Likes Silicon Waffle
Physics news on Phys.org
WWGD said:
I resent those who become successful without making contributions, those who game the system in their favor to make it harder for others to rise. But success itself, however measured, no. Ultimately, the stability of a system depends on whether the average person considers the rewards, the system itself to be fair (according to each person's definition). With all his flaws, FWIW , I respect Steve Jobs more than I do Gates, whose interest seemed to be only in winning at any cost, while Jobs wanted to win, while producing something that elicited a sense of wonder, and was willing -- and did -- pay the price he had to pay in order to see his vision through.
I find your choice very interesting and curious, considering that Jobs was generally considered an ultra-selfish a-hole (and so much of a selfish nut that he probably caused his own death), whereas Gates basically retired in 2006 to become a full-time philanthropist.

But Jobs did make trendy ("insanely great!") products, I guess -- at least that's what I've heard; I've never bought one, since he overcharged for them.

Likes Silicon Waffle
russ_watters said:
I find your choice very interesting and curious, considering that Jobs was generally considered an ultra-selfish a-hole (and so much of a selfish nut that he probably caused his own death), whereas Gates basically retired in 2006 to become a full-time philanthropist.

But Jobs did make trendy ("insanely great!") products, I guess -- at least that's what I've heard; I've never bought one, since he overcharged for them.

You're right, I should have said along this particular dimension. I don't condone the way Jobs treated people, though I have heard that Gates was not much better in that respect. And Jobs' (meaning Apple's) record in China is questionable.
Gates' selfishness ended when he decided to become a philanthropist. Before that, his purpose was to win no matter what. He consistently put out products of questionable quality. You would most likely have s**t phones and no music , many other features in computers without Jobs' contribution. Bill Gates grew up with a rich father who would bail him out of any mistake, with privileged access to technology by age 15, and despite all of this made no real contributions. His is a record of winning by playing hardball , consistently putting out products of questionable quality. Those who, like me, lack a strong technical background do not have a real option of using Lynux or some other alternative OS; selling to non-technically-savvy people like myself (though this has changed by now) is the means by which microsoft became rich and powerful . So, Gates is a bored rich guy, who never took any real risk, who played to win no-matter-what, who never made any real original contribution. I do give him credit for being a philanthropist, but being one when you have been rich all your life, never taken any real risk, and wining by playing hardball makes his philanthropic record seem less impressive to me.

Jobs, yes, an a-hole, but he came up from a humble position, had a vision and paid a personal price to see it through -- though he also made others pay for that . He made many original contributions.

Note that I don't resent Gates being born wealthy, more the fact that he did not make any real sacrifice to give back. I respect the fact that , e.g., George Bush Sr served voluntarily , and so did JFK. And both ran for the presidency. So they did make real sacrifices and gave back. Unlike Gates.

Last edited:
Likes Silicon Waffle