1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problems with integration by parts

1. Aug 7, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi all! I seem to be having trouble doing integration by parts. I seem to have a pretty clear picture of the steps I need to do but something seems to always trick me. Usually I would ask my prof but she is away for a week.

I use the formula: uv - ∫vdu = given integration

2. Relevant equations

given integration = uv - ∫vdu

3. The attempt at a solution

Problem 1. Integrate! ∫(x^2) cosmx dx
    u = x^2 -> du = 2x dx
    dv = cosmxdt -> v = (1/m)sinmx

Use : uv - ∫vdu
    (x^2) (1/m)sinmx - ∫(1/m)(sin(mx)) 2x dx
    I pull the constants out
    (x^2) (1/m)sinmx - (2 /m) ∫ (sin(mx)x) dx
    I’m not sure what to do next… can I use the integration by parts again? Maybe using substitution?

Problem 2. Integrate! ∫t(sec(2t)^2) dt
    U = t -> du = 1*dt
    Dv = (sec(2t))^2 dt -> v = (½)(tan2t)
    Use : uv - ∫vdu
    t*(½)(tan2t) - ∫(½)(tan2t)dt
    simplify a little
    t/2(tan2t) – 1/2∫(tan2t)dt
    I’m not sure what to do with the last term…. not sure how to integrate tan2t

Problem 3. Integrate! ∫(e^2x)sin3x dx
    Not sure what to choose for u… usually I pick something that will simplify when I take the derivative. In this case (e^2x) does not simplify anything and sin3x just becomes 3cos3x which is more complex.

Any help would be appreciated!

Tjvelcro

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2010 #2
    Yeah use by parts for get rid of the x in ∫ (sin(mx)x)dx then simply integrate cos(mx).

∫(tan2t)dt is something you would find on an integral table, but I'm not a fan of them.

tanx = sinx / cos x

u = sinx
    du = cosx dx

Remember cos^2(x) = 1- sin^2(x)

This kind of integral usually just flips around and back since derievative of e^x and sinx still involve e^x and cosx and sinx respectively.

Set I = ∫(e^2x)sin3x dx

∫(e^2x)sin3x dx = (1/2)(e^2x)sin3x dx + 3/2 ∫(e^2x)cos3x dx

We can do the some thing with ∫(e^2x)cos3x dx and we will end up with our original integrand of ∫(e^2x)sin3x dx

4. Aug 7, 2010 #3

Char. Limit

Gold Member

That would be extremely difficult, considering you'd end with du in the denominator...

Try the substitution...

u=cos(x)
    du = - sin(x) dx

instead. It will work out far better, and you won't need any more trig identities, except perhaps...

[tex]sec(x) = \frac{1}{cos(x)}[/tex]

5. Aug 7, 2010 #4
    What ?
    ∫(tan2t)dt

tanx = sinx / cos x

∫tanxdx

u = sinx
    du = cosx dx
    du/cosx =dx

∫u/(1-u^2) du -- This is a simple patial fractions.

6. Aug 7, 2010 #5

Char. Limit

Gold Member

And my substitution gives a simple -1/u du. Integrate to -ln(u)+C and unsubstitute. No partial fractions at all.

7. Aug 7, 2010 #6
    Well great, you have an even quicker solution ! I was just a bit puzzled when you said my suggestion would be extremely difficult.

8. Aug 7, 2010 #7

Char. Limit

Gold Member

I neglected to consider the trig identity you used. TBH, I actually automatically go from [itex]\int tan(u) du[/itex] to the solution.

9. Aug 7, 2010 #8
    Of course, everyone has a different way of approaching a problem. Heck, if you asked me on a different day ,this same question , I may provide a different substitution/solution .

I have to admit your solution is more enticing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook