Explaining Proca Lagrangian Integral Transformation

In summary, the Massive Lagrangian formulation of a vector particle has a mass term that does not disturb gauge invariance.
decerto
Could someone explain how can one go from

$$ \int dx\ \frac{-1}{4}F^{\mu \nu}F_{\mu \nu}$$

where $$F_{\mu \nu} = \partial_{\mu} \phi_{\nu}-\partial_{\nu} \phi_{\mu}$$

to

$$\int dx\ \frac{-1}{2}(\partial_{\mu} \phi^{\nu})^2 + \frac{1}{2}(\partial_{\mu} \phi^{\mu})^2 $$

I assume it has something to do with integration by parts but I can't see it

Physics news on Phys.org
It follows directly from the form of ##F_{\mu\nu}##.

Orodruin said:
It follows directly from the form of ##F_{\mu\nu}##.

No it doesn't, the second term is slightly different. They are supposed to be the same up to total divergence according to these notes https://cds.cern.ch/record/292286/files/B00008237.pdf on page 4 it says you need to apply the divergence theorem but I don't see how.

decerto said:
No it doesn't, the second term is slightly different. They are supposed to be the same up to total divergence according to these notes https://cds.cern.ch/record/292286/files/B00008237.pdf on page 4 it says you need to apply the divergence theorem but I don't see how.
Yes, it is a trivial application of integration by parts to move the derivatives from one ##\phi## to the other. The assumption is that the boundary terms vanish.

Orodruin said:
Yes, it is a trivial application of integration by parts to move the derivatives from one ##\phi## to the other. The assumption is that the boundary terms vanish.

Thanks for explaining that it is trivial that made it easier to understand.

decerto said:
Thanks for explaining that it is trivial that made it easier to understand.
Well, it is difficult to see why you have a problem with it. You are familiar with paritial integration I assume? For the derivative ##\partial_\mu##, just perform the partial integration in the ##x^\mu## direction. There really is nothing else to it.

## \frac{-1}{4} \int dx\ F^{\mu \nu}F_{\mu \nu} =\frac{-1}{4} \int dx\ (\partial_{\mu} \phi_{\nu}-\partial_{\nu} \phi_{\mu})( \partial^{\mu} \phi^{\nu}-\partial^{\nu} \phi^{\mu})##

## = \frac{-1}{2} \int dx\ (\partial_{\mu} \phi^{\nu})^2 - \partial_{\nu} \phi_{\mu} \partial^{\mu}\phi^{\nu} ##

## = \frac{-1}{2} \int dx\ (\partial_{\mu} \phi^{\nu})^2 - \partial_{\nu}(\phi_{\mu} \partial^{\mu} \phi^{\nu}) + \phi_{\mu} \partial_{\nu} \partial^{\mu} \phi^{\nu} ##

## = \frac{-1}{2} \int dx\ (\partial_{\mu} \phi^{\nu})^2 - \partial_{\nu}(\phi_{\mu} \partial^{\mu} \phi_{\nu}) + \phi_{\mu} \partial^{\mu} \partial_{\nu} \phi^{\nu} ##

## = \frac{-1}{2} \int dx\ (\partial_{\mu} \phi^{\nu})^2 - \partial_{\nu}(\phi_{\mu} \partial^{\mu} \phi_{\nu}) + \partial^{\mu}(\phi_{\mu} \partial_{\nu} \phi^{\nu}) - \partial^{\mu}\phi_{\mu} \partial_{\nu} \phi^{\nu} ##

And the two total divergences go to zero.

Posting for anyone else who didn't find it trivial.

Likes vanhees71
Well, that' reminds me of one of the many stories about Pauli. When giving a lecture, he told the students something's trivial. The student asked, whether it is really trivial. Pauli answered, he had to think about, left the room for 10 minutes and then declared that the point made was really trivial. A clear answer, one must admit ;-)).

Incidentally, the thread's title is a little misleading when compared to the contents of the 1st post, as Proca's field is massive, hence the Lagrangian density contains a mass term proportional with the field.

dextercioby said:
Incidentally, the thread's title is a little misleading when compared to the contents of the 1st post, as Proca's field is massive, hence the Lagrangian density contains a mass term proportional with the field.

Sorry the actual question I had was about the gauge invariance of the massive version and was entitled 'Procca Lagrangian'. But in the question the Lagrangian was written as what I wanted to derive + a mass term so I wanted to show the non mass terms were equivalent to the obviously gauge invariant form of (Fuv)^2 + total divergences so I could say that the issue with gauge invariance lies in the mass term only.

Annoyingly it didn't come up in the exam.

In fact you can formulate the massive vector particle as a U(1) gauge symmetry. The mass term is not disturbing gauge invariance in the abelian case. That's known as the Stueckelberg formalism. See the very nice review

Ruegg, Henri, Ruiz-Altaba, Marti: The Stueckelberg field, Int. J. Mod. Phys. A 19, 3265–3348, 2004
http://dx.doi.org/10.1142/S0217751X04019755
https://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0304245

vanhees71 said:
In fact you can formulate the massive vector particle as a U(1) gauge symmetry. The mass term is not disturbing gauge invariance in the abelian case. That's known as the Stueckelberg formalism. See the very nice review

Ruegg, Henri, Ruiz-Altaba, Marti: The Stueckelberg field, Int. J. Mod. Phys. A 19, 3265–3348, 2004
http://dx.doi.org/10.1142/S0217751X04019755
https://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0304245

Thanks, that was the second part of the question, here it is.

decerto said:
Thanks, that was the second part of the question, here it is.
Well, if this is a problem to be solved by YOU, please post in the homework section of this forum. There you get help to solve the problem YOURSELF instead of giving simply the answer. That's much better for learning the subject than just reading the final answer!

vanhees71 said:
Well, if this is a problem to be solved by YOU, please post in the homework section of this forum. There you get help to solve the problem YOURSELF instead of giving simply the answer. That's much better for learning the subject than just reading the final answer!

It was an exam question from like 6 years ago, I was revising, that is why I wrote "Annoyingly it didn't come up in the exam" and regardless I did solve it myself.

1. What is the Proca Lagrangian Integral Transformation?

The Proca Lagrangian Integral Transformation is a mathematical tool used in quantum field theory to calculate the interactions between particles. It is based on the Lagrangian density, which describes the dynamics of a system in terms of its fields and their derivatives.

2. How is the Proca Lagrangian Integral Transformation derived?

The Proca Lagrangian Integral Transformation is derived by starting with the Lagrangian density for a free massive vector field and then adding an interaction term that describes the forces between the particles. This interaction term is usually chosen to be gauge invariant, meaning it does not change under a transformation of the field variables.

3. What is the significance of the Proca Lagrangian Integral Transformation?

The Proca Lagrangian Integral Transformation is significant because it allows us to calculate the behavior of particles in a quantum field theory and make predictions about their interactions. It also helps us understand the underlying symmetries and conservation laws of the system.

4. How does the Proca Lagrangian Integral Transformation differ from other Lagrangian formalisms?

The Proca Lagrangian Integral Transformation differs from other Lagrangian formalisms in that it specifically applies to massive vector fields, while other formalisms may be more general or specific to other types of particles. It also includes an interaction term, which is not always present in other Lagrangian formulations.

5. In what contexts is the Proca Lagrangian Integral Transformation used?

The Proca Lagrangian Integral Transformation is commonly used in quantum field theory, particularly in the study of interactions between particles with spin, such as photons. It has also been applied in various other fields, including condensed matter physics and cosmology.