1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Product of two series diverges

1. Mar 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find sequences an and bn such that: an>0 and an→0, Ʃ bn is bounded, but Ʃanbn diverges.

3. The attempt at a solution
    The idea is that bn should be -1^n or -1^(n+1) and when multiplied by an the odd (larger) terms of the new sequence diverge and overpower the smaller terms. Every sequence an I have tried still ends up converging (for example 1/n → 0 and diverges but (-1^n)/n converges.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What exactly are you trying that doesn't work? 1/n does diverge. Doesn't that suggest something?

4. Mar 5, 2012 #3
    Yes, 1/n does diverge, however when multiplied by the bounded sequence (-1^n) you get (-1^n)/n which converges. It seems like I am missing the point, but I have focused on 1/n for some time and can't come up with how I can get the product to behave as 1/n does.

5. Mar 5, 2012 #4
    I also played with the series Ʃ(1/k^2 - 1/k) which diverges but couldn't figure out a way for it to be the product of required an and bn.

6. Mar 5, 2012 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What happens if you multiply the bounded sequence (-1)^n by the convergent sequence (-1)^n/n?

7. Mar 5, 2012 #6
    That would work perfectly but the requirement an > 0 for all n isn't satisfied with that sequence.

8. Mar 5, 2012 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Good point. You are paying attention. Suppose you define an=(1/n) if n is even and 1/n^2 if n is odd? Pick an to be not monotone.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  9. Mar 6, 2012 #8
    Well, I do precisely need an to be not monotone so that it fails Abel's Test and the Alternating Series Test, but I am a little concerned about defining an the way you mentioned. It seems like it would work, but we have never defined any of our series that way even in the in class examples.

10. Mar 6, 2012 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Time to start a new trend then. Can you show it works?

11. Mar 6, 2012 #10
    Thanks for the help. I feel better about it now that I know I was mostly there except for basically how to write my thoughts down.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook