Program for such vector graphics

In summary: Something like a 3D modelling software? Something that would allow you to create accurate 3D diagrams?
ronaldor9
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrifugal_force_(rotating_reference_frame)"

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/16/Equation_motion_body.png

Using which program can I create such vector drawings? THanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try inkscrape for a paint-like program. For certain diagrams, you might want to use the LaTeX diagram environment or one like asymptote (I don't believe the LaTeX envirnment can do 3d diagrams).

I have Inkscape on this machine, since none of my regular software will run on it (Intel Macbook). I still can't figure out how to do anything with it. For my money, you absolutely can't beat Adobe Illustrator. Even version 4 is very impressive, but when you get up to CSII it's beyond imagination.

This, for instance, was done in Illustrator 8, which is a primitive version.

"[URL=[PLAIN]http://img505.imageshack.us/i/hovercraftpb1.png/[/URL]

I can only echo what has already been said. I use Illustrator CS4, and I hear InkScape is a decent free alternative. I am not so enamored with Illustrator though...it can do a lot of things, but there are a LOT of things that one would expect a professional program like this to be capable of that it also cannot do, and that which it can do is often hidden/disorganized in obscure places.

I can only assume, then, that we have different requirements for our illustrations.

Illustrations don't generally have "requirements" that Illustrator would be incapable of satisfying -- what it fails in is user efficiency, and precision due to the amount of manual manipulation that it forces you to do. It seems almost every time I use Illustrator I discover another set of operations that really should be there, but aren't, and waste me time as a result. Googling these issues typically turns up dozens of other people who are trying to do the same thing, and responses like, "Sorry you can't do that in illustrator...this is just a cheap $600 app, what do you expect?" Since I know of nothing better, I've continued to stick with Illustrator over the years...but I'm keeping my eye out for something a bit more high end, if I ever see it.

junglebeast said:
this is just a cheap $600 app

Bloody hell! My CS 2 cost twice that. The aftermarket manual was over $100. I didn't buy that, though, since the built-in help menu covered everything that I needed. (Keep in mind that I don't do any fine-art stuff; just cartoons and blueprints.)
Here's an example:

"[URL=[PLAIN]http://img137.imageshack.us/i/pf8ej.jpg/[/URL]

well the thing is, i have illustrator but i can't seem to create beautiful vector diagrams such as the ones on wiki, for example. I mainly need it for drawing FBD, vectors etc. It is time consuming. I was hoping that there was some program to facilitate drawings for this purpose.

ronaldor9 said:
well the thing is, i have illustrator but i can't seem to create beautiful vector diagrams such as the ones on wiki, for example. I mainly need it for drawing FBD, vectors etc. It is time consuming. I was hoping that there was some program to facilitate drawings for this purpose.

I'm not familiar with that terminology. Maybe you need more of a CAD programme?

1. What is a program for vector graphics?

A program for vector graphics is a software that allows users to create and manipulate scalable images using mathematical equations. This means that the images can be resized without losing quality, unlike raster graphics which are made up of pixels.

2. What are the advantages of using vector graphics?

Vector graphics have several advantages, including scalability, smaller file sizes, and the ability to easily edit and manipulate individual elements of an image. They also offer crisp, clean lines and are ideal for logos, illustrations, and other line-based graphics.

3. Can I use a program for vector graphics for photo editing?

No, vector graphics are not suitable for photo editing. They are best for creating graphics with clean lines and solid colors. For photo editing, you will need a raster graphics program such as Adobe Photoshop.

4. What are some popular programs for vector graphics?

Some popular programs for vector graphics include Adobe Illustrator, CorelDRAW, and Inkscape. These programs offer a range of tools and features for creating and editing vector graphics.

5. Do I need to be an artist to use a program for vector graphics?

No, you do not need to be an artist to use a program for vector graphics. While having artistic skills can be helpful, these programs also offer basic shapes, tools, and templates that can be used to create simple graphics. With practice and experimentation, anyone can learn to use a program for vector graphics.