Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Program that will draw a(t) knowing x(t) in SHM

1. Mar 3, 2010 #1
    A few days ago I carried out an experiment about Simple harmonic motion. In the attachment I added the scheme of the laboratory.

I have collected the following data : time(s), displacement(m), velocity(ms-1)

I can obviously plot the graph of x(t). However, the next task is to draw a graph of a(t).
    As far as I know, I can calculate the acceleration by using first derivative of velocity. Since I have about 300results I am definitely not going to do it manually :D

Is there any program that I can use to automatically plot the acceleration vs time graph ?
    In class we used 'coachlab II', but that little sucker deleted all the graphs when the device was disconnected and right now I have no access to that software.

Cheers

Attached Files:

• 1.jpeg
      1.jpeg
      File size:
      81.2 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2010 #2
    You can try Labview, Matlab, Origin, or even Excel. Since you already have the data the work is easy.

4. Mar 3, 2010 #3
    T=0,67s
    initial displacement = 0,299m

a=-[tex]\omega[/tex]2*x

[tex]\omega[/tex]=[tex]\frac{2\pi}{T}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{2\pi}{0,67}[/tex]

Since initial displacement is not equal 0, would it be a good idea to calculate it from forumla (initial displacement - displ. at the moment) ?

Are these correct calculations of acceleration ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook