So it seems that GAP can do it..Identifying Groups in GAP: A Tutorial

• Thread starter krishna mohan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Program
In summary, the conversation discusses a need for a program to provide subgroups of a defined group and their corresponding names. The use of GAP is mentioned, but it is noted that it only provides subgroups in the form of generator lists and does not automatically identify the group. However, a link is shared with a guide that explains how to identify groups using GAP.
krishna mohan
Hi...

I need a program that can give me all the subgroups of a group that I define. I also need it to give me the names of the subgroups as per some predefined library.

I tried GAP. It gives me the subgroups, but each subgroup is represented by a list of generators. There seems to be no way to make it print a name for the subgroups, like say S4 for symmetric group of four elements.

In fact, if I give the generators of S4 as input, it cannot identify it and give an output stating that it is S4.

Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm confused..how can you say that it doesn't identify S4, when you give it generators of S4 and it tells you it's S4?

Yes..you are right..it is possible for GAP t o identify the group as S4..I had read some tutorials on the web which seemed to state that GAP did not have this capability..

But I got a reply at the GAP forum with this link..

http://www.math.colostate.edu/~hulpke/CGT/howtogap.pdf

It has a section named "Identifying Groups"...

1. What is a subgroup in a program?

A subgroup in a program is a smaller, specialized group within a larger group of data or elements. It is typically defined by specific characteristics or criteria.

2. Why is it important to find subgroups in a program?

Finding subgroups in a program allows for a better understanding of the data and can reveal patterns or trends within the larger group. It can also help with data analysis and decision making.

3. How do you determine the criteria for subgrouping in a program?

The criteria for subgrouping in a program can vary depending on the specific goals and objectives of the program. It can be determined through data analysis, expert input, or a combination of both.

4. What are some common methods for finding subgroups in a program?

Some common methods for finding subgroups in a program include cluster analysis, factor analysis, and discriminant analysis. These methods use statistical techniques to identify patterns and groupings within the data.

5. Can subgroups in a program change over time?

Yes, subgroups in a program can change over time as the data or criteria used for grouping may change. It is important to regularly review and update the subgrouping criteria to ensure it is still relevant and effective.