Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Program to write neat equations and problems

1. Feb 1, 2007 #1

When I seek help on this forum, it is often difficult to make the equations look good and easy to understand.
    Would you know of a program that fixes this problem and also works on Linux?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2007 #2

Staff: Mentor

4. Feb 1, 2007 #3

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I disagree; it is very easy to make your posts look attractive and readable. You use the built in LaTeX capabilities of the forum. LaTeX is a free typesetting language (actually, TeX is the language, LaTeX a bunch of macros written in TeX) available for Linux, Unix, Mac OS X, BSD, and even Windows, to name but a few.

Anyway, there is no need to use LaTeX on your own machine if you just want to post here. Just use the correct tags [ tex ] and [/ tex ] without the spaces, and put your LaTeX code in between. There are plenty of guides on how to use LaTeX (use your initiative, or Google, to find one).
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2007
  5. Feb 1, 2007 #4

Staff: Mentor

I assumed that future_vet already knows about PF's LaTeX processor and simply doesn't want to write the LaTeX code by hand. But if he doesn't know about it yet, then the place to start is the following thread at the top of the "Math & Science Tutorials" forum:

6. Feb 1, 2007 #5
    May be this would help, too.

Just enclose the code within the [tex] [ /tex ] tags (there should be no space between '[' and '/').
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?