1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile Arrow Angle Transformation Equation

1. Feb 13, 2012 #1
    I have an Archery game. I am firing the arrow with the projectile equation. I need the arrow to transform it angle during the flight as happens in real life. (For Example When Firing the Arrow at 90 degrees the Arrow should return with its head pointing straight to the ground and similarly for other angles). Is there any generic equation to calculate the transformation of the angle based on the initial angle, initial speed(x/y components), distance, time etc.

x = (Vi * Math.cos(Initial Angle) * t)+ 75; // Vix * t
    y = ((Vi * Math.sin(Initial Angle) * t) - (0.5 * 10 * t * t)); // Viy * t - (0.5 * g * t^2)

A Example of what type of transformation I need : link deleted

In the above game the arrow always falls tip downwards no matter what the initial angle and velocity. I have to replicate this.

I am not a physics guy, so might be missing something very unreasonable and am implementing this game in Javascript :P

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2012 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Arrow just points in the direction of its velocity vector.

4. Feb 13, 2012 #3
    Would u please explain what do u mean by vector of its velocity? or can u express it mathematically? Thanks.

5. Feb 13, 2012 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook