What were the speed and angle of the diver's projectile motion off a 3-m board?

In summary, the diver leaves the board at a speed of 7.2 m/s at an angle of 77 degrees to the horizontal, according to the book answer. The equations used to solve for this were y= y0 + vy0t - 1/2gt^2 and y = x tan theta0 - g/2v0^2 cos^2 theta0*x^2. The initial horizontal velocity and angle were found by using the difference between the final and initial height and solving for the initial vertical velocity using the equation vy = vy0 - gt.
Cantworkit

Homework Statement

A diver leaves a 3-m board on a trajectory that takes her 2.5 m above the board, and the into the water a horizontal distance of 2.8 m from the end of the board. At what speed and angle did she leave the board? Book answer is 7.2 m/s at 77 degrees to the horizontal.

Homework Equations

y= y0 + vy0t - 1/2gt^2

y = x tan theta0 - g/2v0^2 cos^2 theta0*x^2

The Attempt at a Solution

If the origin is at water level, then at the top of the dive vy0 = 0,and 1/2/gt^2 = 5.5 m. Therefore, t = 1.06 s. I still have two unknowns, v0 and theta, but only one equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming the t = 1.06 s is right (and I haven't checked too closely), then that means it took her that long to travel a horizontal distance of 2.8 m. So, what was her horizontal velocity?

The time value may actually be wrong, because I think you must use the difference between her final height and her initial height to determine t. (Can you see why it doesn't make sense otherwise? She didn't actually go UP 5.5 m).

Also, if her vertical velocity went from whatever it was initially to zero at the top of the dive in that amount of time, what was her initial vertical velocity? (hint: vy = vy0 - gt)

If you know both the initial vertical and initial horizontal velocity, then you know the angle.

I do not know the initial velocity. That is what I am trying to solve for, as wll as the angle.

Cantworkit said:
I do not know the initial velocity. That is what I am trying to solve for, as wll as the angle.

I know that. That's why I was trying to explain to you how to find them. Maybe you should read what I said more closely.

I am still having trouble. If y0 is at the water, then the total y dispacement is 5.5 m--2.5 m above the board and 3 m below the board. I still can't come up with 7.2 m/s for v0 no matter how I solve for it.

Okay, I finally got it. Thanks

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air under the influence of gravity, with no other forces acting upon it.

2. How does the motion of a diver differ from a regular projectile?

The motion of a diver is slightly different from a regular projectile because the diver is able to manipulate their body and change their shape, which can affect their motion through the air.

3. What factors affect the trajectory of a diver's motion?

The trajectory of a diver's motion can be affected by factors such as the initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and the diver's body position and movements during the dive.

4. Can you predict the exact path of a diver's motion?

No, the exact path of a diver's motion cannot be predicted due to the unpredictable nature of human movement and the presence of external factors such as wind and turbulence.

5. How can projectile motion equations be applied to diving?

Projectile motion equations can be used to analyze and predict the motion of a diver's dive, which can be helpful for coaches and judges in the sport of diving. These equations can also be used to optimize a diver's performance by adjusting the launch angle and initial velocity.