1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile Motion of a football please help!

1. Oct 18, 2004 #1
    Ugh! I have been working on this lab for hours now and I can not seem to make sense of my results. We went to the park and kicked a football, recorded its hang-time, and measured the distance it traveled. This is the information I have:

Time Change in x (m)
    3.69 sec. 42.06

This is everything I know:

Change in x = 42.06 m Change in y = 0 m
    a = 0 m/s a = -9.8 m/s^2(gravity)
    Vx = ? Vy = ?
    Time = 3.69 s Time: 3.69 s.

I need to find the initial(overall) velocity of the football as it is kicked. I need to find what this would be if it were kicked at a 30 degree angle, a 45 degree angle, and a 60 degree angle.

So far i have found that Vx = 11.4 because:
    Change in X = VxT + 1/2aT^2
    42.06 = Vx(3.69) + 1/2(0)(3.69^2)
    Vx = 42.06/3.69
    Vx = 11.4

I found Vy with the same formula and found it to be 18.081

I made a right triangle and gave it a 30 degree angle.

Sin30= 18.081/V (v being the overal velocity)
    You get 36.162

This is where the problem hits. Technically, by taking the cos30 of 11.4, I should get the same number. But instead:
    cos30=11.4/V
    V = 11.4/cos30
    V = 13.16

Please help me figure out what i'm doing wrong. I did examples in the book and everything worked fine with those numbers, I don't understand why they are not working with these. I know that the time and measurements are right bc it was given to us on the board.

Please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2004 #2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?