Projectile Motion: Comparison of Maximum Altitudes on Earth and Moon

In summary, the maximum altitude of the projectile on the Moon is six times greater than that of the projectile on the Earth.
changzv
A projectile is launched on the Earth with a certain initial velocity and moves without air resistance. Another projectile is launched with the same initial velocity on the Moon, where the acceleration due to gravity is 1/6 as large.

How does the maximum altitude of the projectile on the Moon compare with that of the projectile on the Earth?

Both initial velocity on the Moon and Earth is the same.
I know that gravity of the moon is 1/6th the gravity of the Earth.
So is the maximum altitude of the projectile on the Moon 6 times greater than the projectile on the Earth? Is there something I'm missing out on?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you are missing something. You are only using your intuition and not actual laws of physics. Try to prove your statement mathematically. Use equations of motion when the acceleration is constant (which is very close to being true when the projectile does not go too high).

I tried using v^2 = u^2 +2as.
Initial velocity = 0, so u^2 = 0
v^2 = 2as when a = 9.81, s= v^2/19.62
v^2 = 2as when a = 1.635, s=v^2/3.27

What value of v can I use? Or am I using the wrong formula?

The initial velocity is zero? If that was true the projectile would not go anywhere. You wrote: 'A projectile is launched on the Earth with a certain initial velocity'. Also, think about what the velocity is at the maximum height.

I see! I didn't read the question carefully sorry.
Velocity at maximum height is 0, so v=0.
And the Initial velocity on the Moon and the Earth is the same.
Simultaneous equation?
v^2=u^2+2as
u^2=-2as, u^2 for Earth and Moon is the same.
-2as(Earth) = -2as(Moon)
s(Moon)/s(Earth) = 19.62/3.27
= 6
o_O Did i go wrong somewhere?

That's what I got. Your tuition ended up being right.

Thanks for clarifying!

Related to Projectile Motion: Comparison of Maximum Altitudes on Earth and Moon

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is launched into the air and then moves under the force of gravity. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

What factors affect projectile motion?

The factors that affect projectile motion include the initial velocity, the angle of launch, air resistance, and gravity.

What is the formula for calculating projectile motion?

The formula for calculating projectile motion is: y = y0 + v0t - 1/2gt2, where y is the vertical displacement, y0 is the initial vertical position, v0 is the initial vertical velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time.

What is the maximum height of a projectile?

The maximum height of a projectile is reached at the peak of its trajectory. It can be calculated using the formula: h = (v02sin2θ)/2g, where h is the maximum height, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance, or drag, can affect projectile motion by slowing down the object and changing its trajectory. The amount of air resistance depends on the shape and size of the object, as well as the density of the air. In some cases, air resistance can be ignored for simpler calculations.