Projectile Motion w/o Horizontal Givens

In summary, the problem involves a soccer player kicking a rock off a 40.0m-high cliff into a pool of water. The player hears the sound of the splash 3.00s later and the speed of sound in air is given as 343 m/s. The initial y-component of velocity is zero and the problem requires finding the initial x-component of velocity. The time it takes for the rock to land in the water can be calculated, which will also determine the x-displacement of the rock. The speed of sound will be important in this calculation.
Penguin'15

Homework Statement

A soccer player kicks a rock horizontally off a 40.0m-high cliff into a pool of water. If the player hear the sound of the splash 3.00s later, what was the initial speed given to the rock? Assume the speed of sound in air to be 343 m/s.

I wrote down givens in the y-direction:
ΔY = -40.0m
t = 3.00s
a = -9.80m/s^2
Vo = 0
θ = 0°

And in the x-direction:
a = 0
t = 3.00s

Homework Equations

ΔY=v0t+(1/2)at2
v=v0+at

The Attempt at a Solution

I am assuming that the intial y-velocity is equal to 0, since the rock was kicked horizontally...is that correct? That means I am looking for the initial velocity in the x-direction. However, I am not given displacement in the x-direction. So how do I set up the problem? Also, is the speed of sound important?

Thank you for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Penguin'15 and welcome to PF!

Yes, the initial y-component of velocity is zero.

If t = 0 is the time the rock was kicked, can you find the time t at which the rock lands in the water?

Then think about how you can use this time.

Time is given in the problem as 3.00s. The speed of sound is minimal, and not much use until I know how far the rock actually traveled.
How can I use this time to find the x-displacement and/or inital velocity in the x direction?

From the information given, you can calculate the time it takes for the rock to land in the water. You will see that it is not 3.00 s. The difference represents the time it takes for the sound of the splash to reach the soccer player, which will be important in determining the x-displacement of the rock.

Likes 1 person
343 m/s is a pretty fast clip.

Oh I get it now! I was really confused for a sec, but it makes sense. Thank TSny!

1. What is projectile motion without horizontal givens?

Projectile motion without horizontal givens refers to the motion of an object that is launched into the air with an initial velocity and angle, but without any horizontal forces acting on it. This means that the only force acting on the object is the force of gravity.

2. How is the trajectory of a projectile determined without horizontal givens?

The trajectory, or path, of a projectile without horizontal givens is determined by the initial velocity and angle of the object, as well as the acceleration due to gravity. The object will follow a curved path, known as a parabola, as it is pulled down by gravity.

3. What is the equation for calculating the horizontal distance traveled by a projectile without horizontal givens?

The equation for calculating the horizontal distance, or range, of a projectile without horizontal givens is:
R = (v0²sin2θ)/g
where R is the range, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. How does the launch angle affect the range of a projectile without horizontal givens?

The range of a projectile without horizontal givens is directly affected by the launch angle. The greater the launch angle, the longer the range will be. This is because a higher launch angle results in a longer time in the air, allowing the object to travel further before hitting the ground.

5. Can the initial velocity of a projectile without horizontal givens be changed during its flight?

No, the initial velocity of a projectile without horizontal givens cannot be changed during its flight. This is because there are no horizontal forces acting on the object, so there is no change in velocity in the horizontal direction. The only change in velocity is due to the acceleration of gravity, which only affects the vertical velocity.